Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 03:12 AM

Default Re: I received Super System 2 from Doyle\'s Room today

I think the reason that there isn't a plain old stud section is because there is one in the original Super System. It says somewhere in the new book that SS2 is not meant to replace SS, but to be a companion volume to it.

That makes sense too. The only games that are duplicated between the two books are limit hold em and no limit hold em. It makes sense to have a new limit section as the blind structure has changed since the original publication. However the new NLHE section is basically a reprint of the old NLHE section with a few tips and comments thrown in. I think Doyle just couldn't put out a book without a NLHE section.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:01 AM

Is every other word in bold like the original?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:49 AM

I think unfortunately poor Danny was dropped from the final draft. He was, apparently, gutted.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:01 AM

Took me about 6 hours playing 3 tables of aggressive shorthanded 3-6 limit. The only reason I mention the aggressive bit is that I think the amount you bet/raise in a given pot increases the AP you get. Shorthanded obviously lends itself to clearing the bonus anyway by increasing the number of hands you will play/hr.

Once you have opened two tables rather than trying to open a third stick yourself on the waiting list for another and when you click to be taken there it will open. Not sure if this will work for more than three because I didn't try. I only founf this out by accident as I was on the waiting list for a few tables and was already playing two when it popped up about a thrd and I thought it was worth a go.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However the new NLHE section is basically a reprint of the old NLHE section with a few tips and comments thrown in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It's not worth me buying it then. Gutted.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:03 AM

No he wasn't, he wrote the tripple draw section.

TT
Old 12-04-2004, 10:30 AM

if the new NL holdem section isnt really innovative im going to be really disapointed and angry

can anyone give feedback on the triple draw section? i just started playing it and need instruction, love the game
Old 12-04-2004, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However the new NLHE section is basically a reprint of the old NLHE section with a few tips and comments thrown in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the interest of complete information, here's exactly what Doyle says:

"So I sat down to revise this chapter, to bring it up to modern day standards. But you know what? I hadn't read my own advice for fifteen years, and when I sat down to examine it, I just kept nodding my head in agreement and muttering, "Damn, that's good!" ..... "I've added new thoughts and expanded some of the ideas, but the core concepts remain as valid and as profitable today as ever. So, here is my up-to-date advice, blending the previous tips and the tactics that will always with at no-limit hold'em with some new insights I hope will earn you extra money."

He goes on to say that while he had to change his game because other players knew what he was doing, the same strategy should be profitable for the reader.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:09 PM

How incredibly disappointing. It really sounds like he was too lazy to write something new. If he was goinna do that, he should have just gotten someone else to write it. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the interest of complete information, here's exactly what Doyle says:

"So I sat down to revise this chapter, to bring it up to modern day standards. But you know what? I hadn't read my own advice for fifteen years, and when I sat down to examine it, I just kept nodding my head in agreement and muttering, "Damn, that's good!" ..... "I've added new thoughts and expanded some of the ideas, but the core concepts remain as valid and as profitable today as ever. So, here is my up-to-date advice, blending the previous tips and the tactics that will always with at no-limit hold'em with some new insights I hope will earn you extra money."

He goes on to say that while he had to change his game because other players knew what he was doing, the same strategy should be profitable for the reader.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-04-2004, 01:34 PM

the old NL section in SS remains the best thing ever written about the game. furthermore, as evidenced by a lot of posts on the past on 2+2, very few people who read the section actually understand what he is saying and advising to do, and instead they think doyle just bets every flop.

I am looking forward to seeing what improvements he has made, but I wouldn't expect complete innovation. so much of larger big bet games are player dependent, which is what I would assume doyle is writing about.

--turnipmonster