Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Re: A Hand I Botched Severely

I know you're kind of kidding, but saying you hate any hand seems kind of foolish to me. Why would you hate them?

It kind of sounds like those people who you run into at the tables, "Oh I [censored] hate pocket Jacks, never win, blah, blah, blah."
Old 12-03-2004, 03:05 PM

Well first of all, don't put foolish behavior past me. Second, I just tend to misplay them and overplay one pair-ish hands--so I just like to stay away from them in marginal spots. I dunno, some people seem to love them unconditionally, I don't.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:27 PM

I think you're a pretty solid player so it's doubtful anything was “severely botched”.

Anyway, I'm okay with flop call - overcards plus the backdoor flush combine to about 4 outs and in a raised pot the fours are less of a concern. However, if there's any chance UTG+1 will fold for two bets then I raise for protection instead of call. This may also buy a Turn free card.

I also bail out on the Turn: that king was a bad card - eliminating the flush draw and further devaluing the former overcards. Facing two more bets doesn’t help any either, even with the gutshot draw (pot is giving 7:1 on the call).

What do you think?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:33 PM

Yea, loving unconditionally seems just as silly.

I'm probably not going to be playing tonite, although, you never know. What about you? PM me, no need to keep this thread up for the wrong reasons.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:51 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

just to try and make myself feel better, can someone tell me that you occasionally misplay hands horribly, and that it's ok because I know how poorly I played it. I guess that's kind of why I posted it. I kind of know how I should've played it, but I'm hoping that other people occasionally really s[/i]hit the bed sometimes
Old 12-04-2004, 01:52 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad to see that you are still posting here in Small Stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh I was taking a one-time shot. the game was amazingly soft. I'm surprised everyone says they're tough. if/when I ever get up to 15/30 I'll most likely post here unless it really requires a knowledge of the game.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:01 AM

Hey sthief,

I'm mostly a lurker, occasional poster, so you may not know me. But I am a winning player who has worked my way up to the 5/10 game (and also take the occasional shot at the 10/20).

Anyway, I've posted to this effect before, but sometimes I just look back at a hand I've played and wonder "How did I ever build a bankroll when I make such horrible decisions?"

The answer is threefold.

1) You do it a lot less often than most of your opponents
2) You think about it afterwards a lot more often
3) When you do think about it, you realize you made a mistake
Old 12-04-2004, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is clearly a mistake but not a huge one Isuspect in terms of EV. The bigger problem, as with many small pre-flop mistakes, is that it opens the door to making additional, and perhaps even more costly, mistakes on later rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the lesson of this hand. I certainly need a refresher on this common error from time to time. It is hard to fold suited broadways with position, but this particular hand is very likely dominated. But since you called, if the flop misses you, and it did, you have to bail.

Good post sthief. I admire brutal honesty.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:40 AM

Sorry, I've never played a hand this poorly.

-Michael
Old 12-04-2004, 05:46 AM

hahaha thanks buddy