Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Re: \"Middle Limit Holdem\" Advice -- Do you agree?

You posted this in a “Small stakes” forum, but remember his book is about Middle Limit poker, which will be somewhat tighter and more solid (with some exceptions of course).

With this in mind, with this flop, the 2 callers scare me more than the bettor. I can’t imagine what a raise would accomplish in this situation. In a solid middle limit game, the 2 callers will have something and will just call you down, and you can’t even beat bottom pair at this point.

As much as I love Ciaffone’s book, this is not one of the stronger hand illustrations. I don’t disagree with a fold, but not necessarily for the reasoning he provides.

Keep in mind he is addressing a different game than the typical loose, small stakes game. In the introduction, Ciaffone says that the book assumes you are up against “decent players who have the bankroll and experience to be playing in middle limit holdem games.”
Old 12-04-2004, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind he is addressing a different game than the typical loose, small stakes game. In the introduction, Ciaffone says that the book assumes you are up against “decent players who have the bankroll and experience to be playing in middle limit holdem games.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know -- but I wanted to know 1) if the reasoning applied to small stakes games as well and 2) if others thought the reasoning was sound for middle limit games (lots of posters here play 15/30).

Anyway, it certainly wasn't meant as any kind of dig against Ciaffone -- I like his book too -- I was just trying to understand this point better.

gm
Old 12-04-2004, 03:38 AM

That's cool. I didn't mean to come on too strong.

Here's my attempt to answer your questions:

Question #1: In a small stakes game this is a tougher question. 2 overcards against a very likely smaller pair is one of those ongoing debates. With 3 opponents in the hand, as in this example, I would still fold though.

Question #2: I used to play a $10/$20 B&M game, and I would definitely fold in this situation. As I mentioned in my original response, the callers concern me more than the original bettor. I don't play the 15/30 online games so I can't address that.