Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 02:37 AM

Default My Parents Still Don\'t Know...

It's been almost 2 years since I have gone "pro" and my parents still don't know. All my friends and siblings know and I trust them to not spill the beans until I give the sign. The problem is, my parents (like most parents) are old-fashioned. They think that the only way to make a living is to get a job. I am afraid that if I tell them, they will both simultaneously have a heart attack. Any tips on how to deal with this dilemma?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:48 AM

Default Re: My Parents Still Don\'t Know...

I assume you are successful? Success speaks louder than words sometimes.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:58 AM

Yes, I am successful. So much so that I quit a good well paying job as an engineer to devote to poker full time. Actually, not full time, because I spend a lot of traveling instead of "working". But still, I am making so much money at poker that I am embarrassed to tell anyone how much I actually make. And don't ask. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 AM

I'm no pro but I as well have parents that want me to find my self a job and not pursue poker as a career. They love it that I have won and continue to win money for the short time i've been playing the game (two years). They don't however believe it to be the best way to make a living for myself. The only way I feel I could one day show them that the game is infact good enough to make a living off is when/if I become a pro poker player that has a sufficient bankroll to justify not having to have worked for several hours in an office.

From what you have told us, you're one of the fortunate to have reched the level/skill taken to be a pro poker player, and if you have made enough money to show your parents that you're infact making a living for yourself playing a game that you love I don't see them getting upset. You have a long future ahead of you and alot of cash to be won, and if you can only show your parents that your skill is above so many others and show them the success you've been having, i'm sure they'll be proud.

Hope this helped and good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-03-2004, 03:03 AM

Buy your parents a really nice, really expensive christmas gift. When they ask how you can afford it, tell them you won it all playing poker. It's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth like that.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:08 AM

the key I would think is showing your parents that what you are doing is stable and safe(financially). If you can do that, coupled with the amount of money you are apparently making, that would seem to look good enough for the 'rents.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:11 AM

Hi Appleliker,

You can't tell them...ever. It seems like they're from the same generation as my parents, where risk-taking is probably frown upon. It is nearly impossible to ever convince them that this is a good idea, it doesn't really matter whether you're struggling or making a killing. I strongly feel that telling them the truth at this point will make all of your lives very difficult. Which in turn may psychologically affect your game, assuming that they will be as upset as you pointed out.

As long as you continue to do this, I think you should keep things the way they are. One thing you can do is be disciplined and responsible with your play as well as your finances. I'm sure they are proud that they raised you well. Since you are keeping a huge secret from them, at least give them the respect and be responsible with everything else in your life.

Good luck with your career.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:15 AM

I hear what you are saying, but I just want to say I completely disagree with you.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:34 AM

Maybe I'm a little old school, but I don't really think that you should ever keep anything from your parents forever. Maybe if you killed someone, but that's about it. If you're going to play poker for a living, your parents have a right to know about it. If they love you and care about you, they'll support you in what you're trying to do, even if they don't agree with what you're doing, and even if it takes them a while to understand that what you're doing is no different than if you were to become any type of freelance professional. Hopefully you have something to fall back on if poker playing ever goes sour for you, which would definitely make your parents feel more comfortable, but I really disagree with keeping it a secret from your parents forever.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:15 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
So much so that I quit a good well paying job as an engineer to devote to poker full time. Actually, not full time, because I spend a lot of traveling instead of "working". But still, I am making so much money at poker that I am embarrassed to tell anyone how much I actually make.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, and you have it documented somewhat, what are you waiting for? If your making soooo much at it, who cares who knows. Time to grow up a bit.

b