Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 09:02 PM

Default 2/5 NL hand, AA on the flop

Full-handed 2/5 NL cash game in New York. Game is fairly tough, but a few soft-spots make it worthwhile. I have 700, and my opponent in the hand has me covered. He is usually a 10/20 player but didn't feel like waiting for a seat. He bought in small but has been running really good, and now he's opening for 25 about half the time. He loves to underbet the pot, min-raise people, etc. Here's the hand...

He opens for 25 UTG+2; I make it 100 to go with red aces two positions later. It's folded around to him and he calls. At this point I think he has any pair, any suited ace, suited cards JT or better, unsuited cards QJ or better.

Flop comes JT6 all hearts, and my opponent leads 50. Unfortunately, I think there is little information content here, because he would lead with a small bet like this independent of the board or his hand over half the time.

Counting 50 from me, there will be 300 in the pot with double that in my stack. What should I do?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL hand, AA on the flop

Raise it up. You're probably ahead at the moment, and you've got redraw outs to the nut flush.

Raise to $200, I think, with the plan to push the rest in on the turn. If he comes over the top of your flop bet, you are probably behind at the moment but can call with your flush outs.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:03 PM

Default thoughts/results

Whether to call or raise is a hard problem I think, mainly because I'm very unsure of how he would act on the turn. Given that I decided to raise though, I think raising 100 more is the correct amount. Given that he's usually a limit player, I think he's hugely more likely to call a small raise than a large one. Furthermore, raising small allows him to reraise all-in for a full pot, and I'd love for him to get cute with a pair and a flush draw or something. I also don't have much intrest in protecting my hand, because if I'm ahead then I'm way ahaed; so I don't really mind a call. Raising bigger only pushes out weaker hands, and it seems unlikely he'll ever lay down a hand that's beating me.

At the table I didn't think carefully and ended up raising 300 instead of 100. He folded.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL hand, AA on the flop

He probably didn't start with anything and his tiny bet suggests that he probably didn't flop anything. You have a strong hand AND a strong draw and position against someone who probably doesn't have anything and can be tempted to bluff. Other than flopping monsters, if you are ever going to slow play this is the time.

- Louie