Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Too Passive with Two Pairs?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

SB is LAG.
I'm not happy with my pre-flop play or my flop play or my river play. I've been getting my bankroll whittled away by bad river cards and I was worried that the final 4 made my opponent trips and I think I've gotten too passive after a few bad beats (which invites more beats with my bad play). Help me. I'm in a funk.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 12-02-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Too Passive with Two Pairs?

This is how I would play:

PF: Fold
Flop: Raise and try to isolate opponent
Turn: Same
River: Raise -- don't automatically give credit for a 4
Old 12-02-2004, 04:51 PM

Fold preflop, raise the flop.

SB's play is weird on this hand. Why would he check/call an ace on 4th street when a harmless card hits. i really don't mind just calling here, but in the games I play there is a good chance that his river bet is a bluff. Yeah you say he is LAG...well then easy raise.

Brad
Old 12-02-2004, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not happy with my pre-flop play

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding!

[ QUOTE ]
I've been getting my bankroll whittled away by bad river cards

[/ QUOTE ]
No, your bankroll is depleted by playing A8 voluntarily anywhere outside the SB for half a small bet! This is an automuck unless you can steal on the button (which is not a good idea at micros)

[ QUOTE ]
and I was worried that the final 4 made my opponent trips and I think I've gotten too passive after a few bad beats (which invites more beats with my bad play).

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks passive.

[ QUOTE ]
Help me. I'm in a funk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully, that's what we're here for.

Buy Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones and tighten up. you are way too loose preflop.

Keep posting hands. Then buy SSHE. Comment on other people's hands.

Back to this hand:
Fold preflop
Raise the flop
Turn good
Raise the river and call a 3-bet.

Keep up the work and your bankroll will swell. Your current play is terrible. I don't say that to be mean, but to be honest. TERRIBLE. buy WLLH, then SSHE, tighen up and play more aggressively.

This forum is a boon, keep posting and keep commenting on others' hands.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 12-02-2004, 05:09 PM

I agree that my play on this hand was TERRIBLE and that's why I posted it. I wouldn't normally play A8o from UTG (or any other position other than the SB). Playing tight is what has whittled my cash away (today I've seen 26% of the flops and I played this hand because I'm getting annoyed with getting nothing to play). I am taking today to play a bit looser and to have some fun--and to work on my post-flop play with marginal hands. I will continue to post hands and I look forward to further constructive criticism--flame away if need be, I'm cool with it.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:13 PM

seeing 26% of flops is still pretty loose. Don't force the issue. If you want practice with marginal hands, wait for the blinds.

Best of luck, keep using the forums. The fact that you're here means you can be a great player; don't let us down - that includes playing for action rather than for purpose.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 12-02-2004, 06:38 PM

26% is pretty standard since if you're seeing 26 of 100 flops 10 of those are probably from the blinds. Anyway if you're frustrated about seeing 26% of the flops either move to a wilder game or check yourself.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 PM

Fair enough. I will work on my patience (apparently that is a big flaw in my game and I recognize that it will hurt my bankroll).