Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 06:03 AM

Default forget MTT\'s, give O8 a try

You guys have given me lots of great advice and help for my MTT game, which is where the biggest chunk of my poker winnings had come from. So I'll share my Thanksgiving learning wtih y'all. I've picked up Omaha 8, playing limit and have found my earn rate to be much higher (about 5x) with much lower variance. Give it a try.

--Greg
Old 11-29-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Re: forget MTT\'s, give O8 a try

That's my least profitable game. I only play it as big bet.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:02 AM

Oh yu are correct sir, espacially if yu play tight. I just began like maybe a week ago and still braely no what im doing but since im fundamentally a tight player I make money.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:08 PM

Omaha hi/lo is great because most of the players I see don't know how to play it. Most of them just seem to play for hi hands alot of the time. If you play tight and play alot of double suited lows you will find yourself freerolling for the high with flush and straight draws with the low side locked up.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:15 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!! lol
Old 12-02-2004, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of them just seem to play for hi hands alot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think a lot of the overlay here are from player's overplaying the possible low. Love it when I've got the nut high and two nut lows keep reraising.

-Z
Old 12-02-2004, 03:47 AM

Yeah, I made this discovery a while ago and when I do play now, it's mostly Omaha8. People are such suckers in that game...well at the low and medium limits anyway. The only problem is that unlike in hold'em, when you get a bad run of cards, you can bang your head on the wall, but that still won't help. These runs can really be frustrating, in my opinion much more so than at other games. You can't try to bluff and such like in NL hold'em, so you usually do need the cards to win. It's all about how you play the cards when you do get them.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 AM

check that. guys drawing to non-nut lows when you have the nuts.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 AM

I've been a successful O/8 player for years now including both ring games and tourney's. It normally has a smaller variance than HE and played tightly can be very profitable. Some observations:
1 - bring a good book. O/8 can be more boring than watching paint dry. If you play tight you will play less hands than HE.
2 - leave your HE perspectives at home. Hands like AAxx where xx are not wheel cards may not even be playable.
3 - be prepared to get sucked out more than HE. Players will play for inside str8s, non-nut flushes etc.
4 - when the cards turn, be prepared for extended losing streaks. My current bad streak is about 3 weeks.
5 - when the cards come, be ready to party! You will find multiple callers when you have the nuts high and low (A2s flushes are huge money makers).
6 - did I say bring a good book? (patience is the #1 ingredient for succesful O/8 play)
7 - the real name of the game is scooping (winning the whole pot). I know some very successful O/8 players that only play high cards or the very best low hands (A23x or better).
8 - read Ray Zee's book
9 - check out the "other poker" forum on 2+2 - especially plyers like Buzz - some excellent perspectives
Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check that. guys drawing to non-nut lows when you have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my favorite mistakes in O8:
* 2 or more nut lows reraising against my nut high. I make $1.50+ on each dollar I put in, while they get $.75-.
* Low draws paying too dearly all the way through the turn, and then not getting there.
* Highs overplaying two pair.

And here are MY biggest mistakes:
* Overplaying sets.
* Overplaying A2 (hate when flop comes 678, then the turn brings an A; I usually make a crying call to the river).

-Z