Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 06:20 AM

Default QQ, I became a Calling station

No read on player, he just sat down. This is one of my first attempts at 1/2 and I think I played this too passively because I was beat when I had trip Ks and Js within the last couple of minutes. Should I have folded the turn or should I have raised it?

Any comments, thanks!

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 12-02-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Re: QQ, I became a Calling station

I think that you should have folded the turn. He's checkraising the flop and betting out on the turn. He's either got an 8 or an A, either of which beats you, so I say fold.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:12 AM

A read would really help here. Absent that, since it's heads-up, I'd probably 3-bet the flop. If I get capped it's an easy check-fold unimproved on the turn and I save myself 1BB. If he just calls I'd bet the turn and check through the river.

If the player is aggressive, I like your line. I'm in great position to win the most from a bluff or a smaller pocket pair and lose the least to an A or an 8.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:56 AM

I think this is an easy fold on the turn. If SB was bluffing, good for him. On the other hand, if you call down you're going to be shown ace-rag much more often than you're shown a bluff or smaller pockets.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:03 AM

I really don't think that A-rag would check raise you on the flop, but that really depends on a read of the player. Tight players won't really call an UTG raise with Ax. Loose players won't c/r. I think it's more likely that he has an 8 more than Ax.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 AM

The pot is small and SB led the turn. If he put a move on you, good for him. Pick a larger pot to battle him over. Fold the turn.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Results

He flipped over 66, MHIG
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Results

Well now you have a read on him [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I've often called down in these situations, myself. Half the time I berate myself for calling when I know I'm beat, and the other half I pat myself on the back for a hand well played. (Folding the turn still looks like the best play, absent a read)
Old 12-02-2004, 02:34 PM

So it seems like the consensus is to call the flop and check-fold the turn, then?
If this is the case, I don't understand why Hero doesn't just fold to the flop check raise? We've decided that at this point, Hero is likely behind with 2 outs to improve requiring ~12:1 to make the set (before considering reverse implied odds of the likely turn bet). If the Hero is behind without the pot odds to call, why not just ditch it on the flop?

Redd
Old 12-02-2004, 02:36 PM

I think this is the reason I called down during the hand. Either villian has me beat and I'm way behind or I have him beat and hes way behind. The turn/river is likely to improve either of us so either call the flop and everything thereafter (unless improved) or fold it...I decided to call it, look him up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]