Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Short AA hand ( is it correct?)

Paradise 25 max buyin NL.
Im in the bb with AA.
Four players call the blind and i put in a 2 dollar raise.
Everyone folds to the player who is last to act before me.
Villain raises to 7 total. I go all in for 25. I wasnt really expecting a call, just wanted to shut him out and win something for the hand. He called. Did i make the right play?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Short AA hand ( is it correct?)

If you just call, you have 1 bet-pot if he checks to you, and no chance of running him off it he fires first (I'm reading him in the SB). If his hand is a TT-QQ, and an overcard comes, he might get off it. If it's AK and he misses, he might get off it. He seems enamored with his hand, so he has to be more likely to make a bad call preflop simply because he has less information and because his call has to be wrong (unless it's AA too, obviously, but that's a very odd way to play AA), while you could be pushing 18 postflop into a better hand or one he gets away from easily. At least on party NL25 and NL 50, if they're willing to make a significant reraise preflop (limp-reraise even), they're almost always willing to call a push that's basically a pot-sized bet, and usually more. I think you have a good chance of doubling up with the raise.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:18 PM

why would you want to shut him out? you have the best of it no matter what he has (you are at worst a 3-1 favroite). my goal when i am in your situation (esp in a small stakes game) is to get it all in heads up preflop. this is where AA is most profitable.
A lot of people like to say that AA is a hand with which you will 'win a little or lose a lot.' this is true because it is a hard hand to get away from if somebody sees a cheap flop and hits two pair or better, it doesn't apply to going all in preflop. But in small NL games, there are so many people who will call a preflop push with QQ JJ AQ and sometimes even less that a push in that situation will get called fairly often. I personallty prefer raising the size of the pot, or enough to thouroughly pot-commit both of us, whichever is more. the idea here is that even though i still have some chips, i am clearly going all-in after the flop no matter what.

ironicly, your opponent may have called because he perceived that you were trying to shut him out.

by the tone of your post, i assume you were sucked out on. if that is the case, take heart, because for every time that happens, you will break three other opponents.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:31 AM

You got all of your money in the pot PF with the best possible hand. If I could get all-in pre-flop with AA every time i had it and get a caller, I'd be ecstatic.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 AM

because he called you played it perfectly. next time you might raise him back smaller, e.g. to $15. get him pot stuck with a wider range of hands. if he'll call any bet though, by all means get the money in. in a game with better players you would often call there so as not to tip off your hand.

matt