Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 09:32 AM

Default 44 sb, paired flop

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) (read on MP: high VPIP, not very aggressive)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.50 BB, between MP and Hero.</font>

I have to stay in this hand, right? Turn bet is an attempt to prevent him from drawing. (This is also my default play in the sb with a small pp heads up against bb: PFR, bet, bet, check/call - OK?).

I've hit a lot of second best hands today so I find myself questioning plays I would normally view as standard [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: 44 sb, paired flop

Betting the river and folding to a raise seems much better.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river and folding to a raise seems much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see that many hands calling the river that I have beat here, especially considering no PFR = overcards. My thinking is by checking I may induce a bluff.

On the other hand I do think my river play may be too passive in general (river aggression 1.56) and perhaps the above is an example of this.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see that many hands calling the river that I have beat here, especially considering no PFR = overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about ace high?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 PM

I think your line is fine. Depending on the opponent it may be worth a river bet, depending on if you think he'll call with a worse hand or release a better hand. Your ahead often enough here (and your check indicates enough weakness to possibly induce a bluff) to make the call IMO.

I believe The Theory of Poker has an entire section dedicated to heads up play on the river, and the proper action really depends on your read on your opponent. If you think your check will induce a bluff from a worse hand, but he may check better hands behind you, then check/calling is the right play. If you think he may fold a better hand to your river bet or will call with a range of worse hands then I'd come out firing. With no read in a typical 5/10 or 10/20 PP game I probably check/call personally, although some would probably call that weak/tight.

-Rizen