Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Default You know that gray area?

$5-$5 8 handed. utg straddles for $10, utg+1 calls, I’m next to act and make it $40 to go with black jacks. co calls, co+1 calls, utg calls, utg+1 calls as well.

5 to the flop for $200.

Flop is Tc 7c 4d

utg leads out for $500, utg+1 folds. I have $800 in front of me and he has me covered.

Now utg is an extremely aggressive player. The type who commits himself with draws, and knows how to apply pressure to take down a pot if he senses weakness, he just goes with his reads, and they usually work for him. I have a tight image at the table, this being the second hand I’ve raised with in 3 orbits. I look over to my left, but I cant get a read on co, co+1 has already gotten up to have a smoke.

What’s your move?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: You know that gray area?

[ QUOTE ]
utg is an extremely aggressive player.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this makes it a push. had you seen him overbet the pot before?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:34 PM

tough situation man. it's a bet that really looks like it doesn't want a call, but against a tricky enough player that can mean different things. you can usually assume everyone else is going to fold to an overbet and a raise allin, so I would just play it like you were heads up.

I have to say that my default is to not go broke with hooks here, but then again against the right player you really should raise allin.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-30-2004, 03:06 PM

maybe i'm loose but this is no gray area. all-in.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:22 PM

I will take a stab at this.

Villain has 88/99 or just a meager pair of tens. He thinks that no one has an overpair and wants to take the pot down before someone makes the draw.

At best the villain has top two and you still got some outs. No one would play a set this way. If you called and he has one so be it.

You are ahead of 3 hands he may have and only behind against one. This is a clear call IMO. If your bankroll is short then I would lay it down and wait for a better chance.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:26 PM

I'm stuck on the overbet and the fact that you consider him to be a good hand reader. If he puts you on an overpair and hit a set he is making a great play. Against a very good player I would have to strongly consider laying this down. If you think he is just average and aggro, all-in.

Tough spot.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:29 PM

no way out for me here at least. this isn't a spot i'm looking for out.

If UTG is extremely loose as defined by you then it's pretty clear.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:47 PM

no matter what he has, his bet amount here is a mistake.

if he has a hand better than yours, his bet amount is huge mistake. if he made this mistake, he is just a really bad player, no way around it. you dont think he is the type of player capable of making a mistake this huge. even lags know that they usually should check raise all in here with a big hand.

leading out here huge is the type play that a aggressive/hand reader is more likely to make. he doesnt put anyone on pocket pairs, and is trying to make a bet that will fold out all the other types of hands that would call him here (tens or a big draw). his hand doesnt matter here.

since you described him as a thinking type lag, this bet size is pretty likely with a hand that you beat. at the least, your player is more likely to make this mistake than the first one i mentioned
Old 11-30-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your bankroll is short then I would lay it down and wait for a better chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

That shouldn't be a consideration; if your BR is short, DO NOT PLAY THE LIMIT. I don't think DOTT is playing on a short bankroll, either, so the question is what does the overbet mean..?

It really doesn't seem like he wants a call, (as said by someone else) and perhaps I have too much of a small stakes mindset, but this is a push.

Have you seen any massive overbets by this guy before?

Thinking about it though, he's leading into 3 other opponents, including the PF raiser. It's not like he's on a bluff here. What were the stacks of the other opponents? Did they have several thousand? If so many the bet makes sense. But it still doesn't. Hope this helped.

Just wanted to add I meant 4 opponents* not just 3, so even LESS likely he has a bluff. But I'd still push it.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
utg is an extremely aggressive player. The type who commits himself with draws

[/ QUOTE ]

This reeks of semi-bluff IMO. He straddled for $10 and called the extra $30 after co and co+1 called, so he could have just about any straight/flush cards looking to hit a flop and play a big pot. As others have said, betting into the field is unlikely to be a complete bluff, but if he's a thinking player I think it's also unlikely to be just a pair of 10s, and if he has a set or two pair this bet is horrible. It looks like a straight and/or flush draw. If this is true, JJ is probably a hand he thinks you'll lay down here, so I would push. If nothing else he'll think twice about bluffing into you later.

-Solo