Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Deep $1500+ 200 NL Stacks Party - AQo

[ QUOTE ]
when I get deep now in online games, I drool when I see a bad-ok player with a huge stack. one mistake means I can get a good chance at their stack. most online players dont know how to play deep, and still play TPTK for a bunch of chips, which is great for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to emphasize how critically important this last point is for all the small stakes posters who might be reading this. The best way that I have found to increase win-rate is to prey on inexperienced deep-stack players. Most party players don't have any idea how to play a deep stack due to the capped buy-in. I find most people with super deep stacks are fish, but even the good ones can only take what you have on the table.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:20 PM

Last nite I watched a game fitting the profile of the one you are discussing and a situation came up which made me think a lot about the effect of deep stacks on a low buy-in NL table. Instead of giving a hand history I'll just give the general details:

In a 6-max $200 NL PP there are two big stacks and 4 smallish stacks (<400). One of the big stacks (~1500) is UTG and goes all-in. The other big stack (~3300) is on the button and considers calling before folding what he claims was 99. Original raiser shows AK and wins blinds.

Is there more to this than just an idiotic overbet? What range of hands would you call with as the deep stack on the button in this situation? Assume you have no reads on raiser. Should your answer change with respect to stack size?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:22 PM

maybe the raise was a little too much but its tells you he doesnt have a set.

if I had 33 or QQ in the small blind, there is no way I am coming back over the top of that massive flop bet. talk about only getting called when you are beat by QQ/AA.

he bet on the turn is way to small, unless your trying to control the pot size.

again, same thing. a 500-600 bet here is nuts. you need to do a little pot controling on the turn.

If I even think a player has a busted flush draw on the river, I usually bet very very small, so It may induce them to try to steal a nice pot.

this pot is way too big and your hand is not that awesome to pull this move. if you bet 75-100, do you really want to call 700 more if he comes over the top?

check behind here and hope you are good.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a 6-max $200 NL PP there are two big stacks and 4 smallish stacks (<400). One of the big stacks (~1500) is UTG and goes all-in. The other big stack (~3300) is on the button and considers calling before folding what he claims was 99. Original raiser shows AK and wins blinds.

Is there more to this than just an idiotic overbet? What range of hands would you call with as the deep stack on the button in this situation? Assume you have no reads on raiser. Should your answer change with respect to stack size?

[/ QUOTE ]

All in UTG for $1500 in a 2/4 NL game with AK, with a guy who has you covered twice over yet to act. WTF??? This is a dumb move I don't care what he is trying to setup or what his justification is. If BB happens to pick up AA here UTG loses his whole stack damn near everytime. Who was this guy so I can get him on my list of idiots. Also if Im the button Im not putting 1500 in there without AA, possibly KK but I would have to be convinced UTG is a total maniac.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:46 PM

good reply...I guess thats why I always leave the table no matter what on the party poker nl 200 6 max tables with like $800-1000. After that I just overvalue hands, and tend to get sucked out on.

But I really like the sense of pot control and checking on the river, because calling a big river bet is insane unless you know you got him beat.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe the raise was a little too much but its tells you he doesnt have a set.

if I had 33 or QQ in the small blind, there is no way I am coming back over the top of that massive flop bet. talk about only getting called when you are beat by QQ/AA.

he bet on the turn is way to small, unless your trying to control the pot size.

again, same thing. a 500-600 bet here is nuts. you need to do a little pot controling on the turn.

If I even think a player has a busted flush draw on the river, I usually bet very very small, so It may induce them to try to steal a nice pot.

this pot is way too big and your hand is not that awesome to pull this move. if you bet 75-100, do you really want to call 700 more if he comes over the top?

check behind here and hope you are good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 PM

upon first reading I assume villain has J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Once you make that monster raise on the flop, the smooth call is almost always a strong draw. You have narrowed down his range of hands immensely. AA and QQ are unlikely both because they can be dealt one way each and there was no reraise preflop. Also, those are hands that would push in this spot. The minraise smacks of big draw, perhaps looking to buy the button/free card. Stacks are fairly deep but set over set is rare and good players either muck or push with 33 on the flop. Given this read, my line would be to tax him severly on the turn. The check behind is a little weak but in the offchance the guy has 33 it will save you money. Unlikely that hands you can beat will call any significant river bet. If you are really feelinglike hot sh*t, try the line fsu mentioned and go for the weak bet to occasionaly induce a bluff. Obviously this implies you must then call the times he goes over the top.