Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 01:54 AM

Default KK in UTG+1, somewhat scary flop

Party $50 NL Hold'em (BB=$1)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: Hero ( $80.22 )
Seat 5: Villian1 ( $65.9 )
Seat 7: Villian2 ( $53.55 )

Hero (UTG+1) has K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raises $4 (my standard raise), Villian1 and Villian2 call, all others fold

Flop ($13.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian1 hasn't done anything extraordinary in about 10-15 minutes and Villian2 is very new, so I have no reads.

Obviously this flop is likely to hit somebody, but I'm most likely still best, so how would you proceed?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: KK in UTG+1, somewhat scary flop

I know it hard to believe, but thats a great, great, flop for you at Party NL50. You are probably ahead but there are all kinds of things people are drawing for.

You bet the pot, maybe more, and you are gonna get called by QJ/KJ/AJ for sure. You are also gonna get called by two hearts and anybody with a 9. Heck, AQ is gonna try and fish you. The guy with pocket 7's is hoping to hit a gutshot.

What are you afraid of, Q9? 97? JT? They will probably push. You have an opportunity to muck if you dont think those players are capable fo a large sem-bluff.

When a deuce hits the turn you push.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:00 PM

Tilt's advice seems good to me - bet the pot on the flop. I don't know if I would push on the turn even if the 2rag hits though . JJ, TT are certainly within the top ten hands that your opponents would play for a raise here - especially the guy in seat 7 - and who knows, the new kid may like 88 for only $3 more. For me, pushing is overly aggressive here - I'm probably just betting 70-80% of the pot on the turn to test his "fortitude" for drawing hands. Without much of a read on these guys, all-in on the turn is too aggro for me.

QUESTION - Am I being tight-weak to think this way (not go all-in against that flop)? I'm a little worried that my natural tendencies are tight/weak lately and I'm questioning everything...
Old 11-29-2004, 09:30 PM

I was thinking I was good, but I didn't want to see any more cards come down because the pot was going to get big enough that I couldn't protect it against a decent pair+draw or combo draw anyway, and it's possible if a random heart came down I'm still ahead of AJ, but running scared. I decided to CR (intending to push) to get a little more money and take it down ASAP, since one bet pot wouldn't have the odds to call, but.. Villian1 bet $12 and Villian2 called it. Now what do you do with them both in?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:45 AM

1. I would bet out the pot.

2. If, as you suggested, you wanted to check-raise, which is fine too, well, here's your chance.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tilt's advice seems good to me - bet the pot on the flop. I don't know if I would push on the turn even if the 2rag hits though . JJ, TT are certainly within the top ten hands that your opponents would play for a raise here - especially the guy in seat 7 - and who knows, the new kid may like 88 for only $3 more. For me, pushing is overly aggressive here - I'm probably just betting 70-80% of the pot on the turn to test his "fortitude" for drawing hands. Without much of a read on these guys, all-in on the turn is too aggro for me.

QUESTION - Am I being tight-weak to think this way (not go all-in against that flop)? I'm a little worried that my natural tendencies are tight/weak lately and I'm questioning everything...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this one. Bet pot on flop and take it slow if they both smoothcall. I feel like the only hands that call an all-in are the ones that are going to beat you . . .