Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 02:48 PM

Default mirage 2/5 NL hand (strategy and rules issues)

playing 2/5 nl at the mirage this weekend, table was 7 or 8-handed at this point. hero has about $600, villain has about $1000.

villain has been aggressive (i'd only been sitting at the table for about an hour) and clearly unafraid to use his chips. i make him for a solid player who probably knows a thing or two about playing deep-stack nl. i don't remember him having to show down any hands. but, he wasn't in raising every pot...i didn't make him for a lag. he and the sb had been chatting it up the whole time i'd been at the table.

hero is dealt AK offsuit (suits unimportant for this hand) in utg+1. utg folds, hero makes it $25 to go, folded to villain on the button. villain calls, blinds fold.

heads up to the flop with about $55 in the pot. just before the flop is spread, villain shows his hand to the sb, who looks at it and kind of raises his eyebrows.

flop k55 rainbow.

hero bets $60. sb then says something to villain in a non-english language. villain raises to $500. i call for a ruling. sb claims he was asking what time it was. floor says that while it is one player per hand and english only at the tables, the raise to $500 stands. i muck and cash out.

i'd appreciate comments on the play and ruling (but mostly on the play, although i think the whole scenario is interrelated).
Old 11-29-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: mirage 2/5 NL hand (strategy and rules issues)

I am not sure I like the laydown here. I probably would have called and expected to see either QQ/JJ from the villain or some crappy A-high. There is no way he has KK or AA or 5.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure I like the laydown here. I probably would have called and expected to see either QQ/JJ from the villain or some crappy A-high. There is no way he has KK or AA or 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, the only thing i could put him on was 5x. it wasn't aa or kk that worried me.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:28 PM

Let's say you were sweating the villian in this situation and the two of you spoke a language nobody else did. If he was holding 65, would you immediately advise "Make a massive raise that is over twice the pot!" Or would he, clearly looking to show off to you, decide that he wanted to make this kind of raise in this spot?

Obviously not.

But if you were the sweater, might you throw in some sort of "He's full of [censored]" comment? And if you were the villain, wouldn't you want to comply and show off by blowing somebody out of the pot.

The in-hand chit chat is annoying, but it gave you a big leg up in this hand you got flustered and threw that information away, and a big pot with it.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Sam-

Would you have called this bet?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you have called this bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. Can't say for sure without having been there, but from the information provided I think AK is usually good here.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you were sweating the villian in this situation and the two of you spoke a language nobody else did. If he was holding 65, would you immediately advise "Make a massive raise that is over twice the pot!" Or would he, clearly looking to show off to you, decide that he wanted to make this kind of raise in this spot?

Obviously not.

But if you were the sweater, might you throw in some sort of "He's full of [censored]" comment? And if you were the villain, wouldn't you want to comply and show off by blowing somebody out of the pot.

The in-hand chit chat is annoying, but it gave you a big leg up in this hand you got flustered and threw that information away, and a big pot with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good point...