Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 02:20 AM

Default River decision

0.50/1 NL 6-handed

New to the table, played about four hands and won a decent pot.

Folded to me in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 140 behind, and I raise it to 4. BB with 370 behind calls.

Flop T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check behind.

Turn Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets 5, I raise it to 15, he minraises to 25, I call.

River A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks.

What should I do here? I'm now beating a two pair that he might have been raising with on the turn, but I'm still behind a straight or a set.

I called the turn so that I could call a smallish bet on the river or check it through. I didn't think about what I was going to do if I improved (or did I even improve?).
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 AM

Default Re: River decision

I think you should have bet out the flop to see where you are out, even though you missed the flop. Sometimes Ace high is the best hand. If he raises the flop, you are behind, you fold.
But now, youre not sure what he has. How loose is he calling pfr? Might he cold call with QT/KJ/KQ?
On the turn, it seems like he wants to play a pot by betting out then min reraising, thats gotta be scary. Though like you, i would call thinking about calling a small river bet.
As it turns out, you did improve, but only slightly. You now beat QT, KK(unlikely) and as you said, you are still behind to a set or a straight.
I think its close between value betting and checking behind. My thinking here is that if he had a straight he would not check it, fearing you would check behind. He might check/call a two pair type of hand. He might check fold QJ/KQ fearing you hit your Ace. And he may check raise any set.
So it works out that you are gonna lose the most when you are behind and gain the least when you are ahead. I think the best play is checking behind as you cant take a lot of heat if he reraises you big on the river.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 AM

I think its a clear check behind. Very few hands that you beat can call a decent bet here. And if you make it too much of a value you could invite a huge bluff. And there is a very good possibility that he is planning the c/r with a very strong made hand.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:18 PM

I'm sorta curious to know if he was holding KJ for the straight because that's what I had put him on. That being said I check the river.

I would have also bet the flop after he checked to see where I stood.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 PM

I'm checking the river for damn sure... There's no "value betting" when there is a flush and two possible straights out there and you don't have any of 'em. Too many hands that beat you here to bet with...

I like the raise on the turn - it lets you see where you are... When he min-raised you though, I'm scared thinking that he can beat me any number of ways. Your raising him here says "I have the straight" and then he re-raises? I'm folding...
Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorta curious to know if he was holding KJ for the straight because that's what I had put him on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I bet 20 on the river and he called it (afraid of the flush I guess?). Without the Ace on the river I check behind for sure; I think I just fooled myself into believing he had a trash two pair that I was now beating.