Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Do you ever try to \"dodge\" variance?

Omg I am still laughing. I am SO EFFING FUNNY.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone always so deadly serious here?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between being deadly serious and simply living in the logical, real world.

You can't dodge variance. Your post is silly and lacks any real content other than "gee whiz, sometimes I quit early because I feel like maybe I won't lose my winnings back". While this is an observation and feeling that many can probably relate to, what kind of a response could we possibly give? "Yeah, I've felt that way too"?

Meanwhile, you've said that you also know that your next hand is you next hand, whether you play it now or two days from now. So what's the point of your post? And don't say you weren't looking for comments -- by posting on an open internet forum, you opened yourself up to the inevitable barrage of responses telling you that, in fact, your post lacked any sort of logical point.

Welcome to 2+2. I'm sure you've realized by now that good poker players tend to have little patiences for things they deem pointless. And rightly so.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh, forget I even asked. I should have known better than to expect anyone on here to do anything but give me advice (pedantic advice at that) about something like this. It's like you're telling me the sky is blue--I know it's blue already.

Can't you just play along and not be such know-it-all apple polishers for once?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it. are you asking us to play dumb? ok, i'm game.

most people, when they're running cold, ask for a setup change (for B&M poker that is). this is just about the stupidest thing you can do. what if the cards were just about to turn hot? now you got a deck of smoking hot cards just sitting in the chip tray you dumbass! the best thing to do in this situation is to stick with the original deck, but make sure to have the dealer "wash" the cards. it's the only way.

if you're talking about online poker, well here's a little trick i learned. say you seem to be catching 1 good card, then 1 bad card. like you catch a nice looking K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but then it's followed by a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i have found the solution for this. what you do (after you've changed the deck color to green obviously) is, when you're dealt the first card, if it's a good one, you cover it up with a window. the easiest one to use is the options window that pops up when you click the dealer's chip tray. anyways, you cover the hand up with that options box before you are dealt the 2nd card. now when it's your turn to act, you slowly move the options box until you can see your 1 good card. then you again slowly move it, effectively "squeezing out" your other card. you will then find that you have been dealt a good hand.

these two methods are foolproof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 10:54 AM

We have a winner. This thread was solved in 31 posts.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 AM

i thought i finished it in 1 post, in less words.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:35 PM

It lowers your overall EV, but I believe one way to 'dodge' variance is to avoid profitable plays that are longshots.

For instance, you may have the odds to draw to an inside straight on the turn and river, but since that won't come in very often and is going to cost you two big bets to find out, you could just fold instead.

Especially against a table of loose, passive, bad players, you can give up some hourly expectation when you are sure to be called when you have a giant advantage.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but if you are going to be called by six players on the river (or raise by some guy whose seen WPT too many times) when you have the nuts, you may not need to eek out other tiny advantages to show a profit. You just won't be realizing the maximum profit.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're also a snotty condesending loser.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're also a snotty condesending loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should make a poll about it!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:46 PM

Yeah, I agree with Zetac - I occasionally like to quit a winner and lock in a winning session. I also have stop-loss limits too. Irrational maybe (or at least not supported by the science of proability when playing with an advantage) but I have a finite available playing time each day and if I'm within $x of it with 10 mins to go I'll stop rather than risk my gains.

Dave/MEL.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:14 AM

Default no because

im greedy,