Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Weak/Tight advice

So I think I'm weak/tight - and I'm having a real tough time figuring it all out. Any advice would be appreciated. First, a little background:

I've read many of the books, watched several DVDs and have a good grasp of poker in general as well as the game of NLHE. My guess is that I need to go back to "Theory of Poker" and "Psychology of Poker" for this but, before I do, I wanted to ask this forum.

I am still somewhat young in my HE days - I've played limit stud for many years successfully but finally made the jump to HE this Summer. That gives me somewhat less confidence than I would like to have but I've really worked hard - reading, watching - and feel that I know the game much better than most others at my limits ($1/$2). I'm overall a winner in HE but not as much as I would expect.

I practice a *lot* on Wilson's Tournament NLHE - strategy, reading, etc - so that I can get practice hands in. You might ask why am I not playing more online games? I could but I find that I "forget" my strategywhen I sit down to play. This practice (10 hours per week) helps me recognize situations in live play and practice my "moves". Remember - I just started the game so remembering the strategies, for me, is still important. It also helps me to learn when I run 2 pair into a set, and how to bet x, y, or z.... I also get intimidated by the online aggressive players and this makes me retreat even more. When I play the computer, I usually bully the table or can play well but, for whatever reason, when I sit down at the table, I think "I can't make that play - they'll know what I'm doing and call me!" My opponents are, for the most part, weak players who are too loose but, every once in a while, I run into a good player/reader. (Countering readers is a huge weakness of mine)...

My "Pros"
I read well
I am aggresive when I decide to play a pot
I can sense weakness *very* well in a live game

My "Cons"
I'm just not sure how to spot weakness online as much
I call too much
I have trouble in that I play my hands almost exactly ABC and, therefore, I am read easily

Advice?
Any advice from folks out there? I know this weak/tight is a common problem so I feel "safe" asking here. I want to jump up to the 200NL games (currently in the 25-50) but I feel I'm just too predictable.weak.tight to be successful... I'm also afraid that I'm spending too much learning the strategies just so that I can try them on players who aren't ****ing paying attention anyway!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Weak/Tight advice

Don't bother with software. Just play real games. Computer players will never be the same as Partypoker players...
Old 11-28-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Weak/Tight advice

Imagine you don't have a call button for a couple of sessions. Perhaps you are calling a few things that really should be folds -- there's not a lot of calling in a good NL strategy in my opinion.

Are you using pokertracker to keep an eye on your opponents? If not you should do so, and then only try a remotely fancy move on opponents with a respectable profile, e.g., less than 20% VPIP, 4-8% PFR. For everyone else (e.g., the 50% VPIP guys) just play solid ABC poker.

Your fear that you are being read too easily is I suspect largely unfounded in these games.