Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 03:47 PM

Default buying o8 software: want to share in the knowledge?

I'm buying wilson's omaha hi low software, and should recieve it by friday of next week. I'm looking for a couple people to coverse with me over IM or email with ideas of what simulations to run, how to program the computers players, etc.

You need not be familiar with the software, just someone who plays a lot of low limit ($3-6 and preferably lower) omaha and knows player styles. When I recieve the software I'll give you guys the lowdown on what types of simulations I can run, how I can program players, and the like.

Essentially, you'd be helping me run better game simulations and hand analyses respective to a typical low limit 08 game. In return, I will share the results of the software with you via PM, email, or IM. We both can stand to improve immensely.

Anyone interested can leave thier info on here or contact me at mcvayr@student.gvsu.edu. I think you should be prepared to spend some time on this, because an old axiom of computer users is "junk in, junk out." You help me not to program junk in, and I'll share what good comes out.

-Glass onion
Old 11-27-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: buying o8 software: want to share in the knowledge?

Rory, do you know Dr. Paul Leidig?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:40 AM

the name sounds familiar. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? And furthermore, where did you get my name from? Not that it matters...

Is he a professor at Grand Valley?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the name sounds familiar. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? And furthermore, where did you get my name from? Not that it matters...

Is he a professor at Grand Valley?

[/ QUOTE ]

You post your email address and wonder how I got your name? Let me refer you to this name of this website.

Yes, Paul is a friend and professor at GVSU.

My first post had nothing to do with your inital proposal, but that frankly didn't interest me. I've had Wilson Turbo O8 for at least 4 years now and I think I've mined it for just about all its worth, to me at least. You could probably help your game with it as well but it sounds to this disinterested observer as if you want someone else to do the heavy lifting.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:00 AM

what do you think of the Wilson Turbo O8?
Worth getting?
What value/learnings have you gotten from it?

Thx,
Greg
Old 11-29-2004, 08:27 AM

Ok, i'm glad you're a disinterested obvserver and I appreciate you hijacking my thread. As far as havign someone else do the heavy lifting, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm simply asking for player opinions and perceptions, things that I may have missed or not considered in programming. Since I've primarily played holdem, having someone else's insight would help me create better scenerios and the like. They would benifit from sharing in my results and not spending $90.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think of the Wilson Turbo O8?
Worth getting?
What value/learnings have you gotten from it?

Thx,
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say when I first got it, it was helpful. I like the ability to run simulations and to set up custom player profiles and different player combinations on a table. I DON'T like some of the advise given by the ADVISOR as it seems too loose some of the time. For example, I can remember it recommending a raise from the BB after several callers while holding something like 2358SS. I guess there is some disguise value in making this play once in a while but I find it hard to believe this is a long-term +EV move. Just my $.02.

I don't play much limit Omaha8 now but I've played as high as 15/30 on Paradise and Party and at those levels I just didn't see a lot of similarity between the players in Turbo O8 and most of the games I sat in. Again, this is IMO.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i'm glad you're a disinterested obvserver and I appreciate you hijacking my thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome, anytime.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as havign someone else do the heavy lifting, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm simply asking for player opinions and perceptions, things that I may have missed or not considered in programming.

[/ QUOTE ]
You were the one who included the caveat in their original post about expecting the other person to spend some time on this. This just struck me as an odd thing to include by someone who was planning to do the bulk of the work.
[ QUOTE ]
Since I've primarily played holdem, having someone else's insight would help me create better scenerios and the like. They would benifit from sharing in my results and not spending $90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I really and truely doubt someone is going to be better off spending time doing this than by spending their money and getting their own copy of Turbo O8. Just my $.02.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:06 PM

Bill Boston ran a bunch of o/8 sims and has a book out showing the results. Book was only $10 when I got it a few months ago.