Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Hand versus the tight rock

At my regular crazy Thursday night game (which wasn't really all that crazy this time), I'm stuck and coming off tilt. I did somehow manage to win a few pots and I believe I'm back on the C game (which is more than enough to break this game) (and really, it's not that I'm good. These guys bring the term fish to a whole new level).

The night has taken a decided change for the unexpected and two fish are up HUGE (this is a $.25 /$.50 game. One guy was up $185, the other up $100. Yes, that is 370 BB.) and both me (the PLAYER) and X (the Tight Rock) are stuck. My tilt compounded the problem slightly : )

Still, I've got a pocket full of cash, and a line of credit with the players longer than my arm, and I was ready to come out swinging when this hand versus the tight rock came into play.

I'm in the BB with 64o. Tight Rock makes it $1 in total (a min raise of my BB) from UTG. This is called without thought by the fish (in fact, any bet, up to and including $5 is called without thought by the fish. They have actually managed to play 95% of the flops the entire night. You might think I'm exaggerating. You'd be wrong.)

It's 50 cents to me, I'm getting 7:1, and I'm on tilt. It's a call and not even close : )

($4 in the pot)
So the flop comes down Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The tight rock checks, as do the fish, and I make it a dollar. I'm not really sure why. Tight rock makes it $4, I make it $10, and he makes it $20. All I can think about is Doyle Brunsens moaning in super system about going broke with bottom two pair. Now, Q6 and Q4 are just not possibilities. 44, 66, are doubly unlikely, because while he has raised with them preflop before, it's rare, and they'd be case cards. So what's he got? His raise of $.50 does not exclude any huge hands, including AA, KK, QQ, because there's a super lag in the game (huge stack, up in PROFIT $180, and he's bought in a fair deal), who's been re-raising Tight Rocks min bet preflops and he could have been going for the "pseudo-limp-reraise". I'm confused and scared (he is a tight rock after all, and even against AA, KK, AQ, I'm doing good, but not super good). So I call. Standard?

The Turn ($44 (88BB)) comes the 4 of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
A super duper good card. I check, he checks. Whiff.

The River($44 (88BB)) , the ace [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes, and I fire out $20. He says "I have to call" and then sort of mirthfully chuckles at my boat and tosses his cards in the muck.

As I rake the pot, I pepper him with questions about his hand. What did he have, and how could I have played this better.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Hand versus the tight rock

[ QUOTE ]
As I rake the pot, I pepper him with questions about his hand. What did he have, and how could I have played this better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely no class.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:39 PM

It's a home game. He's a friend of mine.

EDIT : And the last line (vague I know) is directed at twoplustwo, not at him.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:43 PM

Friend or no friend, you just don't do that at the table. Perhaps a day or two later, while speaking to him over the phone. But not at the table. Discussing strategies while playing cards is not proper etiquette.

Besides, what did you expect him to tell you? "If you pushed on the turn, I probably would've folded." C'mon...
Old 11-26-2004, 08:55 PM

A) he definitely would have folded if I pushed the turn : ) Could very well have folded if I even bet just $20 on the turn.

B) Etiquette is merely a collective agreement on what to do and what not to do. Since it bothers no one at the table it is not breaching etiquette. Perhaps in a public game it is wrong but again this was a private game.

Any comments on the hand itself?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:12 PM

I think your flop play was good - he doesn't have QQ or he would've pushed instead of re-raising to $20. He might have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but that seems ultra aggro for this hand. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q seems pretty likely here. He doesn't appear to be afraid of bottom or middle set though with his re-raising.

I think there's a dozen correct ways to play the hand - and your way was one of them. You probably got maximum value from the guy - especially with the value bet on the river.