Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 03:37 PM

Default On the Bubble against Aggressive raiser

$20+2 The guy on the button is one of the better players I've met at the $20-level. Really tight in the beginning and maybe a little bit too aggressive 5-handed. He had stolen the last two pots and several before. BB and UTG are really tight.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (4 handed)

Hero (t1900)
BB (t1640)
UTG (t1340)
Button <font color="purple">(Solid Aggressive)</font> (t3120)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(Solid Aggressive)</font> raises to t3120 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1650 (All-In), BB folds.

Flop: (t5520) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t5520) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t5520) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5520

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 7c Ac (one pair, aces).
Solid Aggressive has Kc Th (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Solid Aggressive wins t5520. </font>

I think he would push the top 60-70% of hands in this situation so it's clearly chip EV positive. BB and UTG will probably only overcall with QQ or better. If I win the pot I will stop his steal attempts and could start to steal myself

Comments?
Old 11-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: On the Bubble against Aggressive raiser

I would fold for several reasons.

1. You're not shortstacked. You are not desperate enough to play an all in with only an ace high.

2. A7 has virtually no hands dominated. The best you can hope for is two middles (like K10). You have an advantage but not a good enough one to go all in when you are not shortstacked.

3. I also would not call because he is pushing you all in. If you were the button I would be fine with a push, since this solid a player should not put 2000 chips on K10 against a push.

There are sometimes I would make this call (you have him covered, have chips to spare and the chance of getting a good player like him out is good). I might make it when you are down to 3 players. But this is not the right situation.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: On the Bubble against Aggressive raiser

No way. BB and UTG are really tight, shortstacked, and currently going through the blinds. You'll be able to place if you just sit tight and wait. 1st is important but not that important. A7s doesn't have many hands beaten badly.

Just because the big stack is being hyperaggressive, doesn't mean you're entitled to try and catch him. Folding is often the best move for both you and the big stack.