Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 08:45 PM

Default AQo UTG 3-bet by MP

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) (No read on MP, I have only played 3 or 4 hands few hands at the table at this point)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

I don't want to reveal too much about my thoughts on each street as it may give information about the result. What do you think of my play on each street?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: AQo UTG 3-bet by MP

If I CR the flop I'd play the hand the same, I always feel like I miss a bet playing it this way but I just don't know how to squeeze in that last bet on the turn or river. If I CR the turn, I don't know what to do at the site of a 3-bet or I risk villian folding. If I lead the river I risk being raised, I suppose I could more easily muck it to a river raise(??) though I probably wouldn't.

I just freeze up and say to myself i'll just let the villian bet the hand for me, but they never seem to bet the river.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:43 PM

The flop checkraise is poor.

If you want to push him off AK, checkraise the turn. If you want to avoid getting pushed off by a worse no-pair, call down.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop checkraise is poor.

If you want to push him off AK, checkraise the turn. If you want to avoid getting pushed off by a worse no-pair, call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at it now those are clearly superior options. Looking at it closer there is little chance a flop checkraise would carry much weight in this situation.

Would you ever check/fold this flop?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:03 AM

I like how he played the hand (JJ) getting value when he was ahead and taking a shot at me on the turn without it costing him extra as opposed to just calling me down. To quote Guy McSucker, I felt dirty and used afterwards [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Would bet/fold be an option on the river in your opinion?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:32 AM

I wouldn't cr the flop as the chances of getting a typical 5/10 player to fold a better hand are slim to none. I would check-call the flop cr the turn and bet the river here.