Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Poker and Golf [Little Actual Poker Content]

[ QUOTE ]
the roi/winning % of a player that posts in a forum like this should be statisticaly much higher then someone that doesnt. I have little evidence to back this up but I feel its true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are righ... but I still think that is got to be a negative ROI. I think out of the whole poker population, I think about 1 in 20 people make money on poker playing lots and in the long run.

I think that on a site like 2+2, about 1 in 9 or 10 are making long term money. That number may seem harsh to many posters, but I really think its right.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 PM

I think it is near impossible to find out. I can say with confidence that I am a +roi player from the 10s-30s.

Hehe, anyone that doesnt believe me is welcome at my table.

Of the "active" posters that claim a winning roi I am more apt to believe them.

Lets put up a poll(like this has never been done before), and as if it will give us any solid data anyways.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that on a site like 2+2, about 1 in 9 or 10 are making long term money. That number may seem harsh to many posters, but I really think its right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that.

A sample of 100-500 SNG's, which most regular posters in the SNG forum have, is enough to measure two things: the amount of time you finish ninth and tenth, and, at the upper end, your ROI within, say, 20%.

Those two things are very related. If your 9th and 10th place finishes add up to 5-10% of your SNG total and your play is otherwise completely mediocre, congratulations: you're beating the game by a little bit and will continue to do so long term.

Similarly, if you have 500 SNG's and an ROI of 20%, you might not be a 20% player but it's statistically safe to say you're not a net loser, especially coupled with that 9th and 10th place finish sample.

On the other hand, if you define 'long term money' as 'able to make a living off it', yeah, there's maybe a couple of dozen people on the entire site that can keep it up long term. Plus, limit is muuuuuuch harder than sit'n'goes are; I can teach a monkey (or a bot) to play low limit SNG's based solely on its own stack size vs. the other players' and the blind level, and it will be a long term small winner. You can't do that in limit but you certainly could here (witness AleoMagus' FAQ.)

<font color="white">But as I said earlier, the really important thing is that I can reach the green with my penis. </font>
Old 11-24-2004, 08:56 PM

Adanthar. If by "green" you mean the felt on the top of the poker table, then I can perform the same feat. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The better I get at poker, the longer I can go without depositing funds [months]. It has been a really cheap and fun hobby; however, it has yet to show any real profit.[Ok...I said it, anyone else want to come out of the closet?]
Old 11-24-2004, 10:42 PM

Dunno, but what I have noticed on Stars SNG's is that the players with golf-related names and/or avatars almost without fail SuCK big time.

OTOH, NFL-related names/av's are more likely to play well.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:35 PM

As far as players that suck, don't forget anyone with a KGB Teddy-related name (or is it Teddy KGB? I've only seen Rounders once). The vast majority I've come across are the "think-they-know-it-all, but know very little" type.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as players that suck, don't forget anyone with a KGB Teddy-related name (or is it Teddy KGB? I've only seen Rounders once). The vast majority I've come across are the "think-they-know-it-all, but know very little" type.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I have said this before (maybe not on here)

I call everyone with a rounders name a "McD".

To be sincerly honest, I got more excited about poker after watching rounders for the first time about 6 years ago. I was once a McD myself. Gramps hit the nail on the head squarly. These people normally think they know everything about poker, and some of them are probably even winning players at low limit, because they do learn to be tight and aggressive. Missplaced aggression will put you in the dumpster though, and that's what happens to most McDs I see.

There was an old post about tells from poker monikers. It was interesting.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:04 PM

Look at it this way. There are a few thousand people who are signed up here(just a guess) maybe 500 post regularly(again, just a guess) let's say a million people play poker regularly(probably a very low number) not all of those people are on 2+2 or RGP claiming that they are winning 3 BB/100. So not everyone who plays poker is a winner, but I think that the majority of 2+2 posters are consistent winners.