Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 AM

Default O/8 raise stds.

What are the reasons why someone raises in Omaha/8?
What hand values and what situations do you look for.

Thanks all,
R-
Old 11-24-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: O/8 raise stds.

You have to look at your position & cards
Cards AA23 is perhaps the only one to consider raising preflop any position. Downside it gives away your hand. However if you notice a player raising with A2, reraising with AA23 may be fine.
In terms of position, in late position you should raise with AA23, AK23 preferably at least suited as many players will call a single raise. With all other strong hands you may want to conceal to the turn.
In a short handed situation you are far more likely to raise on entering the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 01:38 AM

It all depends on the format, stakes and opposition.

Preflop:
Raise to obtain last position (buy the button).
Raise to build a pot.
Raise to disguise your hand. Don't raise with just one kind of hand.
Raise if raising BTF tilts the nits.
BTF, if I play a hand on the button in a limit O8 game, I usually raise with it.

Flop:
All of the above, plus
Raise when you think you have the best hand.

4th Street:
All of the above, plus
Raise to lay a hand cheaply on the end.

5th street:
Raise with the best of it.
Always raise with nut low in a limit game if it tilts the nits.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Raising in poker is fun. It is even more fun in many O8 games.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Mack
Old 11-24-2004, 12:30 PM

On the flop I want to add as well you want to raise when you have a monster draw and not just a made hand. Let's say you have A2K3 suited on the ace, the flop comes down
Q87 two of your suit, you want to raise and reraise this hand since you have a huge chance to pick up at least some of the pot
Old 11-24-2004, 03:07 PM

Let's say you have A2K3 suited on the ace, the flop comes down
Q87 two of your suit,

Excellent point. Of course you can also raise with thinner hands to keep 'em guessing about your raises: A2QQ; A256; and, if you are up against sentient players who attend your actions, A287 or A387.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:56 PM

This is probably over simplistic. But from Kriegers book the thing I took away about raising is that you should have a specific goal in mind.

If I have a decent high hand or a high pair with some flush possibilities, I will raise from EP or EMP with the intent of hopefully limiting the pot.

If I raise from LP, Usually it is to build a pot when I have a decent chance at a scoop.

Basically, I try to think conceptually and situationaly about raising, rather than just targeting certain hands.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:40 PM

Mike Cap talks about pulling (when to smooth call to keep others involved) and pushing (raising to knock players out or get more money in the pot) and what types of situations to use either in his book and on cardplayer.com in one of his articles.

It's good stuff.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:24 PM

i agree his computer sims are very useful. Hes a vg player. And I thnk his book is just below Zees
Old 11-25-2004, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the reasons why someone raises in Omaha/8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron - As I observe my opponents, it seems to me different individuals raise for various different reasons, some having to do with how well they like their hand, some having to do with what effect they think the raise will have on their opponents, and some simply because they think it's fun to raise.

[ QUOTE ]
What hand values and what situations do you look for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. My own raises are mostly of a tactical nature. In other words, I try to consider what the effect of a raise would probably be, and then I raise if I like that effect and want to achieve that effect. I might raise with a very good hand but I also might raise with a hand that is not very good. It just depends. In considering the effect of the raise, some thought is given to future betting rounds and also to future hands.

I realize the above is a vague answer, but there are a great variety of different circumstances and a wide variety of expected reactions by various opponents.

A couple of years ago I tried an experiment for about a month. I raised with any playable starting hand before the flop whenever the first card dealt to me was a diamond. That system worked remarkably well against some groups of opponents and not as well against others. I don't think that's the best way to decide when to raise before the flop, but I do think it's far superior to raising whenever you have A2WX in late position or in the blind. (W = wheel card, X = anything).

However, against some groups of obtuse opponents, perhaps raising whenever you have A2WX in late position is a fine way to play. (Most decent players catch on quickly when someone is doing that, and play accordingly, using that information to their advantage. It's almost as good as getting to peek at an opponent's cards.)

Honestly, I think the main benefit of raising before the flop is to intimidate all or some of your opponents. However, today I made a pure greed raise once from the big blind with
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Another time and place, I wouldn't necessarily raise with that hand, but today I simply couldn't resist the urge.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 11-25-2004, 04:41 PM

So Buzz,
What happened today when you raised with A,2,3,4?
I'm dying of curiosity!

Bodie