Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Bison\'s Autorate Rules and SSH \"Tight\" Preflop Recommendations

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...so I am going to have a lot of 'non-raises' on the river that logically would tend to bring down my agression factor on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding won't affect your aggression factor. Calling will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, now that would seem to makes sense. How about checking on the river when you have missed your draw and your opponent checks as well?

I'm just trying to figure out why I fluctuate 50/50 between sLA-P and sLA-A and wondering if that line I am walking is okay or if ideally sLA-A is better at this limit. Of course it's 'ok'-- I can't complain at a history of just over 5BB/100 over close to 10k hands at .50/1 since October when I started keeping track.

---Leavenfish
Old 11-24-2004, 01:15 AM

Yeah, as he said, checking/folding doesnt lower your AF.

I don't have much experience with the .5/1 games, but at 2-4 or 3-6 it would be much better to be sLA-A than to be sLA-P... And I have a hard time believing that passive play after the flop is optimal at any LHE game

I'm guessing that there aren't as many pots to be picked up by betting, but you probbably aren't playing your draws aggresively enough. isn't it only 1.5 AF to be sLA-A??

However, if you remain to run well then you must be doing something right
Old 11-24-2004, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about checking on the river when you have missed your draw and your opponent checks as well?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. PT aggression factor= (raise% + bet%)/call%

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just trying to figure out why I fluctuate 50/50 between sLA-P and sLA-A and wondering if that line I am walking is okay or if ideally sLA-A is better at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're probably just on the borderline between -P and -A. However, the criteria for -A is AF >= 1.5, which is a little low anyway.

I also had trouble getting my postflop aggression up at $.5/1. But at $1/2, I'm well over 2 without really trying. I think the different game conditions account for this. I fold and bet/raise more, call less. At $.5/1 the pots are bigger (in terms of BB) and you are often forced to call with marginal hands that don't merit betting/raising with.

This makes your stats look less impressive, but they may well reflect correct play at this level. Bison plays $3/6 and probably developed his ratings with that specific game in mind.

Edit: hopefully I actually added something to what pfkoak said. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if your PFR is less than 5 then you are still hurting yourself. you should really be striving to bring your PFR up to at least 7 imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey MB,

If I calculated it correctly, going by the tight recommendations in SSH would get you to a pfr% of just over 7%.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:17 AM

For those as slow as me: to get total aggression less preflop aggression you have to uncheck the box in the upper part of the "More Detail" screen, the one that says "Include preflop numbers in Total Aggression Factor calculation".

It took me awhile to find it, and it DOES make a difference.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:25 AM

[quote ]At $.5/1 the pots are bigger (in terms of BB) and you are often forced to call with marginal hands that don't merit betting/raising with.

This makes your stats look less impressive, but they may well reflect correct play at this level. Bison plays $3/6 and probably developed his ratings with that specific game in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that seems to make sense to me as well. I've been telling a friend that I can't argue with my results and that it might even be possible for -P to be even more correct that -A at this level...but that I had heard no one actually voice that possibility on this forum.

I'll probably go to $1/2 on Party over the holidays and really would not expect my stats to change much...but perhaps I'll inch more towards +50% - P and -50% - A at that point.

---Leavenfish
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 PM

Just realized I've been using LuvToDriveTT's rules, very similar to Bisons.