Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Pokertracker and profit

For those of you with pokertracker, I have a question: Have you found that since you began using it for no limit games, your game has improved? What about your profitability? The reason I ask is that I have a friend who asked me if he should get it. I told him I don't use it for no limit, but that many people do.

Anyway I'm just wondering if some of the people who do use it can share their thoughts about it and whether it has helped or not.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Pokertracker and profit

it's amazingly helpful, especially with multi-tabling, to be able to see an opponents stats when you need to make a decision. that alone will allow you to make better decisions, and making good decisions is how you profit in this game.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:45 AM

i don't play as much NL as I used to and when I did play it a lot I didn't use PT.

But having used it for limit, I can tell you that it would be very helpful playing NL for player notes and its good in anaylizing your game, i.e. profitability of certain hands and positions. also, it's a simple and easy way to keep accurate records of sessions and winrate (bb/100) which is the main reason i decided to get PT in the first place.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:16 PM

Plus, you can analyze your play. After a bad session I go through it hand for hand and estimate how many BB I lost by stupid play and how much by suck outs. Sometimes, my stupid moves add up to 10 BB/100 and more even when I discount the money I made by playing poorly.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:29 PM

I don't use it and I don't particularly want to. I'm playing small stakes for experience (only been playing about half a year) and would like to eventually be playing at much higher stakes both live and online. In my efforts to get to that point, I find that making my own reads at the table (regarding picking up on betting patterns, etc.) is more beneficial to me than a program that can easily give me an entire history of exactly what my opponent has done in the past.

For people that want to have the quick reference necessary to beat four tables at a time (personally, I never play more than 2), I think its invaluable as you can't possibly pay close enough attention to each table to get specific reads on all the players.

The only regret I have about not using it is that I don't have access to specific data about how much I win/lose with specific hands in specific positions. Looking at this data would probably be helpful in plugging holes in my game but, for the moment, I'm finding enough holes on my own to not need it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 04:49 PM

if you're a winning player already, you really don't need PT for low stakes NL games with a large player base (like party 25 and 50) as you'll never (unless you datamine like a madman) get enough hands to "figure out" your opponents. for a bigger game, like the 200NL, i'd never play without it. it's nice to have spot-on reads of the whole table the moment you sit down. also lets you replay hands which is very humbling and helpful for me.

if you're not a winner, it will in general tell you why. if you're struggling, give it a shot.

fim
Old 11-22-2004, 08:19 PM

I've never used it for no limit, but I've been playing NL/PL online ever since they started on CCCPoker years ago. I trust my ability to figure out my opponents quickly and feel that I know who to watch out for. I play 4 tables, but I worked my way up from 1. I'm not sure that any software can make you comfortable playing more tables.

That said I gave him my opinion already but wanted the opinions of other players that find it helpful. I plan on sending a link to this thread to my friend and let him decide for himself whether it is something he should use.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 AM

I use it. My thinking is that if it's there, why not use it? It can only be a beneficial source of information. I try to utilize all the tools that will allow me to make a better decision.