Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Commission Coach Hand # 4 Review

Can you guys explain me why you all want to check-raise the flop? I think that a bet is far better.
1. If the PFR have JJ-AA or AT he will reraise you or event worst call and pump the turn.
If you bet you'll be raise and you can draw your 9 to 15 outs. If he decides to pump the turn and not the flop then this play cost you 1 sb less then the c/r.
2. If the PRF has overcards a bet, bet, bet strategy is far enough to make him fold.
What a really believe is that the only hands that the pRF can fold don't need a check raise bet bet to hit the muck and if he's got overpairs or AT( or more just stronger then your hand) it will cost you far more money if you check raise the flop.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM

I think betting the flop is a superior play by far.

1. a checkraise on A ragged board looks like a steal more than a bet into the field, (even if the field is 3 players).
2. If the button is the aggressive type who will raise the flop with overcards u can call and checkraise the turn which will 95% of the time get the button to fold ace high.
3. If the button raises the flop and checks the turn you can bet a blank on the river which is a bet not too often called by no pair.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. If the button raises the flop and checks the turn you can bet a blank on the river which is a bet not too often called by no pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a mid-limit player laydown? Because I see AK call this river almost every single time at 5/10.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a mid-limit player laydown? Because I see AK call this river almost every single time at 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've seen of 15/30 (relatively small sample), most players are calling w/ AK in that spot.

B.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've seen of 15/30 (relatively small sample), most players are calling w/ AK in that spot.

B.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play mid-limits and I make that call with AK too, particularly if the table's less than full. You can't let a player get away with this bluff here, even if the call is slightly negative EV (and I'm not saying it is) because you're gonna have shots taken at you all night. This is why its essential for the KQ to C/R the flop here because the one person the button scared of is the BB holding some sort of 87. A flop C/R and a lead on the turn will get plenty of AK/AQ raisers out in my games (particularly the ones that play as passive as this button did).
Old 11-24-2004, 02:03 AM

I think the biggest question you have is how have you played other pairs/top pair in the past. It has probably been a checkraise, so thats what you want to represent here. I find that many times players lock into the idea that you are bluffing and will call you down with their ace once they have called the flop.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:19 AM

Without looking at the results or the replies:

The river is a clear check. Your hand is not bad enough to bluff, and not good enough to bet for value. Save your bluffs in this situation for hands like 9 high that can't win a showdown.

If he bets behind you on the river, you now have to decide whether to call, raise, or fold. Calling is probably right as he could have a busted straight draw which you will be able to beat.

Check calling the river is a lot better than betting here as you will save a bet when he has a hand like ace high that he will check behind you, but will call if you bet, while you pick up a bet from hands like 89 that he will bluff with.

If you really want to try blowing him off the pot on the river, check raising is an option. Unlike betting, that play might blow him off of hands that beat yours. Obviously this is the sort of play that you can make only occasionally, and it's expensive when it fails.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The river is a clear check. Your hand is not bad enough to bluff, and not good enough to bet for value. Save your bluffs in this situation for hands like 9 high that can't win a showdown.

If he bets behind you on the river, you now have to decide whether to call, raise, or fold. Calling is probably right as he could have a busted straight draw which you will be able to beat.

Check calling the river is a lot better than betting here as you will save a bet when he has a hand like ace high that he will check behind you, but will call if you bet, while you pick up a bet from hands like 89 that he will bluff with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused on this part as it seems to me that betting is superior to check/call. I say this because it just gives me another way to win the pot and no more invested than a check/call. I'm also unsure if I check/call in this situation is profitable showing down the K high?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:12 AM

Once again without looking at the replies.

I think Hero played this hand relatively well.

Pre-flop is close between three bet and call, KQs is a group 2 hand and I would certainly 3bet if it was more of a multiway pot. Problem is a lot of the strength of the hand comes from the flush possibility, which wants callers, and a 3 bet here may result in you playing this one heads-up and out of position with a hand that doesnt love being HU. So I like the flat call pre-flop.

You have a good flop, but you are only three way, so not much there in the way of implied odds if you hit your flush, so I would try to take this down without a showdown through a semi-bluff. The question is, whats a more effective semi-bluff. leading the flop or c/raising the flop? its difficult to say, as I would auto-bet this if I was button but a c/raise would probably make me put hero on a made hand and not a draw. absent a read on my opponents I would check raise this because you also get the added beneift of seeing what MP does with his hand (most likely checks and folds if its two back to him).

Lead the turn if you c/r flop of course.

you have to draw to the river on this of course, but unimproved dont see a showdown if you get counteraggression.

biggest decisino in this one is the flop, while I like a c/r, betting out is not a mistake in my opinion, you have up to 15 outs, slightly discounted for the Q and K outs, so jamming isnt all bad here as you only need a slight "bluff overlay" equity to make betting and raising profitable.