Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 04:58 PM

Default raising small pair out of BB

In a typically aggressive limit 15/30 or 20/40 B&M game, how many limpers do you need to raise out of the BB with small pairs 22-66? I realize you need to mitigate the postflop aggressiveness of your opponents and the likelihood of a PF limp reraise, so I'm uncertain if this should be done with less than 7 opponents. Do things change when the pair is 77-99?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: raising small pair out of BB

With a small pair and many limpers, you need to make a set to win. The odds are 7.5:1 against this happening, so you need practically everyone to limp before you can raise for value.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: raising small pair out of BB

Plus . . . with your real collection coming whenever someone does the driving for you, I would think that you do not want to do anything to dampen aggressiveness.

I probably shouldn't admit this here because it's probably not best play, but I check the BB when I get a free play virtually every time, even with the monsters. There are two exceptions. I might raise AA, AKs or KK into a large field just for the "double ante" effect. If there is a new player in the field, I often raise just to check him out.