Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 01:04 PM

Default TT against an apparent LAG

Sunday afternoon, Empire 3/6 (10 handed)

Button seems a bit LAGgy, but have not seen him get too far out of line.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, folded to Button, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, blinds fold, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero ...
Old 11-23-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: TT against an apparent LAG

Has button been laggy both pre and post flop? You said you haven;t seen him get too far out of line. Have you seen any other hand she is capable of 3 betting?

I would call the raise here. If you don't catch a T or pick up the OESD I would check/fold the turn.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:43 PM

When I said I hadn't seen him get too far out of line, I mean that he's not maniac. But I'd seen him show a lot of aggression with marginal holdings (pre- and post-flop).

I'll post my play, and second question in a few minutes - I'd really like to get a few more responses to the flop action.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has button been laggy both pre and post flop? You said you haven;t seen him get too far out of line. Have you seen any other hand she is capable of 3 betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good questions. What are the answers, original poster?

[ QUOTE ]
I would call the raise here. If you don't catch a T or pick up the OESD I would check/fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not ready to give up that easily on this hand. Villain could easily be playing AK or AQ in a similar manner, making hero's hand good here - especially if the villain thinks the hero only has over cards....

For instance, on the turn, the only real 'scare' cards for me are Ace and King.

Anything lower than a 9 will likely not help the villain.

A 9 or Queen give OESD.

A ten gives hero a great boat.

I'm still in question if another Jack falls, which means the board is 9,9,J,J - leaving only 4 possible cards that the hero could have to pair the board. In which case, if I was beat on the flop, I'm still beat on the turn.

I'm thinking, call the flop (I don't know about raising the flop because the villain will likely cap, regardless or what he has). Then check/call the turn, or even bet out on the turn if another "blank" falls. Play the river accordingly.
Adam
Old 11-23-2004, 01:56 PM

In this particular hand I think there is no way that anyone could give anywhere near correct advice, due to the vagueness of the LAG.

I'm not saying your not doing your part, as I too often don't recall which cards of my 70+ current players have 3-bet on the wim either, but without a read like that, you are surely to make many mistakes in this hand.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking, call the flop (I don't know about raising the flop because the villain will likely cap, regardless or what he has).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear more about why you think 3-betting the flop is a mistake. Do you really think that Button will cap with AK or AQ here?

[ QUOTE ]
Then check/call the turn, or even bet out on the turn if another "blank" falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a blank hits the turn, which do you recommend (after only calling the flop)? Bet or check/call? Don't you think your decision would be easier if you had 3-bet the flop? If not, why not?
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM

Default What would you do?

No pressure to give correct advice - I already played this hand. I'd just like to hear some people's thoughts on the situation and arguments for what a good default play might be against a guy who shows slightly more aggression than appropriate in some situations.

He's not a maniac. He's very far from being rock. He is in no way passive.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Flop (cont.) and on to the Turn

Empire Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

I decided to 3-bet the flop and check-fold the turn unimproved if he capped it. But he just called, so I was planning to bet a blank, and then...

Turn: (7.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font> Hero...

I was torn between firing out and check-calling here. I was still ahead of AK and now held the open-ended draw. But I was concerned about costing my self an extra bet here if Button was going for the stop-n-go with AA-JJ.