Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Never let the SB limp on the bubble

I read this advice several weeks ago and have incorporated it into my game. Works almost everytime. The one time I get called I suck out on the villian. My question with this hand is a standard 3x BB raise a better move with the chip stacks as they are. I really felt pushing was the best play if Im going to make this play at all.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t1935)</font>
UTG (t1785)
Button (t3435)
<font color="C00000">SB (t845)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1935 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t645 (All-In).

Flop: (t2780) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2780) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2780) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2780
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1690 (t1690), between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t1690).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t1090 (t1090), returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 4s Qc (straight, ace high).
SB has 5c Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins t2780. </font>
Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Never let the SB limp on the bubble

Well, like "all" suggestions that use the word "never," there are exceptions.

One thing you need to be wary of is when somebody makes a bet that leaves you wondering why they didn't go all-in. This is when a short stack who should be desperate limps or makes a small raise when they should clearly have just pushed. When this happens, you have to suspect that they have a hand they think is strong enough to warrant some action.

While I generally "never" let the SB limp on the bubble, the chip stacks are not set up well to apply that dictum in this circumstance. The SB here is in bad shape and is likely to call. But more importantly, you have a pretty good chace of being able to steal from the other opponents once the blinds pass you... and that is probably more +EV than your push from the BB.

In general, the BB philosophy you describe is correct. But it's more correct when the SB has a similar stack size as you. I don't think your push is bad at all... but limping and giving up easily with plans to steal aggressively whenever the short stack folds on the next few hands is probably better.

Raising less than all-in here would be senseless, though.

Irieguy