Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Blocking Bets?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Hero ($50)
MP ($50.2)
Button ($101.35)
SB ($47)
BB ($51.1)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="CC3333">MP raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB calls $2, BB folds, Hero (poster) calls $1.

Flop: ($8.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($18.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, MP calls $8.

River: ($34.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP calls $35.20 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $69.70

Now my thinking
Pf - I'm getting laid 7 to 1 on the call so i think i can see it with a speculative hand out of position hoping for a big flop.
Flop- I get a piece of it and put out the bet just to see where i'm at. If i get raised its an easy fold, I don't know what to think when i'm called. I'm ok with this bet, but i think I should've taken his call and realized i'm beat.
Turn - I really want to get to showdown and i think that there are hands that villain has that i can beat for some reason. I dont want to give him a chance to push me out of this pot so i try to bet here hoping to show down my hand for cheap.
River - I know when i check here he's gonna bet it 99% of the time so should i have put forth another medium-sized bet so he can't bluff me out. Either way, no way i can call it, i only beat a pure bluff.

Overall, i think my biggest mistake was on the turn. I could've checked the flop but without position i wasn't going to get my cheap showdown. I don't know the best way to get a cheap showdown with a hand that may be good, or maybe thats the wrong way to look at things. What do you guys think?
Old 11-23-2004, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Blocking Bets?

Don't post utg
Apart from that there are no glaring mistakes in my mind
Old 11-23-2004, 03:08 AM

Converter makes me look bad. I was in the bb.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:14 AM

There's a problem with the converter. Hero was BB, and called a min raise by MP. Though you're getting 7:1, keep in mind that your hand is a dominated one, and don't get too attached to it if you catch a piece of the flop.

I think on the flop you can elect to either bet out or check raise. I think a better play would be to check raise, cause then you'll quickly know whether your hand is good. I think if he calls the check raise, your hand belongs in the muck.

As for betting out, I think once MP calls, I am treading cautiously. Although you'd like to show down your hand, I think it will cost too much because it's not very good. Especially when that 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] drops. I would expect MP to either have a better K or a made draw. MP min raised preflop: in my experience, this usually means monster or a drawing hand. You can try two blocking bets, but I think MP might catch on and push all in at some point, and chances are he already has you beat anyway. I'd personally check fold the turn.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 AM

no need to bet the turn. he usually will only bet the turn with a better hand.