Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: when do you know you finally \"get it\"?

[ QUOTE ]
I think Im finally getting it, its been 1 year and I have played a couple of tournaments and im doing good finally!!!

I think u have to start playing with money as soon as you start getting it though, I made my first deposit at 2 months after playing fake money. If you dont play for real money you will never get it. thats my humble opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people play with real money and don't get it though . . .

Consistent win rate, and like Kurn said when nothing evokes an emotion anymore.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:46 PM

I think that this point for me was when I started to think about every single decision, and being able to thoroughly explain why I would make the decision.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Consistent win rate, and like Kurn said when nothing evokes an emotion anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the 3rd MTT I won my wife asked how I did. I told her I won and she said she would have expected me to be more excited. I still don't really get it though.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that this point for me was when I started to think about every single decision, and being able to thoroughly explain why I would make the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll agree with this. You have a better sense of where you're at, what to do and why. After a losing session you feel alright because you made good decisions based on your situations.
Sometimes I notice when I do something wrong right away, sometimes I probably don't even realize a mistake, and sometimes it hardly matters what you do either way, it's so close. There is always more you can do to improve your game.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 PM

I agree with others that not being emotionally effected by a hand is a fundemental aspect of good play. part of this comes from being desensitised to it. For example your flopped set is beat on the river by a gutshot straight draw and you lose a HUGE pot. the first time this is going to get you steaming mad, second time and third time probally the same. You may have to experience this 30 or more times before you realize that it's just how it is sometimes.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:09 PM

If your version of "get it" is when you understand betting structure, the difference between no limit and limit, etc.. then let me tell you my opinion. I first started to "learn" how to play by just randomly downloading paradise poker(to this day I don't know why I did this probably just a random pop-up)I sat down at the play money tables and just clicked a few buttons for an hour or so. I kept coming back and clicking those buttons until one day it all clicked in. I finally knew how to bet,call, raise and what each of those buttons meant.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:59 PM

There is no "it". "It" is like the spoon.

But there is a series of "it"s along the road to becoming a good player.

You can learn pre-flop play from a chart, up to a point. There's nothing really cosmic or revelatory about that aspect of play. The variables are few - position, action before you, hole cards, opponents. But post-flop, the variables are much wider in scope.

Playing 6-max showed me that in my full ring game I'd been calling too much. The playable hands come much less quickly in full ring, and I'd been talking myself into hanging around in a pot. Short-handed comes around quicker, more hands per hour, it felt a lot easier to let a hand go.

I made a conscious effort to take that 'vibe' into my full game, and I think it's having a significant effect.

Cheers,
Peter