Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Bankrolls and Bankruptcy

Why no, they don't force me to carry a balance. And I don't force the credit card companies to give me a credit card. And the laws of this country don't force me to pay off my debts when my wife loses her job.

Bankruptcy isn't some loophole snuck into law, it's there for precisely the situation this guy describes. Quit being an [censored].

"What's wrong with their interest rates? Do they force you to carry a balance?"
Old 11-22-2004, 03:51 PM

One topic under discussion seems to be whether the poster can (illegally and unethically) shield his bankroll from the bankruptcy process. I feel perfectly free to be a jerk to people who think this is a-okay.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:58 PM

call your credit card companies, tell them your situation, and ask for a lower rate.

You will get it 90% of the time.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:59 PM

Although no amount of snide remarks will cause me to change my opinion I will say, with respect to personal responsibility,that you should refrain from having more children until you can afford them.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although no amount of snide remarks will cause me to change my opinion I will say, with respect to personal responsibility,that you should refrain from having more children until you can afford them.

[/ QUOTE ]

please understand that it was never our intention to have a second child. sometimes even medical science can't stop one from slipping past the goalie.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One topic under discussion seems to be whether the poster can (illegally and unethically) shield his bankroll from the bankruptcy process. I feel perfectly free to be a jerk to people who think this is a-okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but i am not trying to avoid paying my creditors that amount. admittedly a fine distinction, but a distinction nonetheless. of course one could say that part of what bankruptcy does is limit your options.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:19 PM

As part of the terms of bankruptcy (Chapter 7), you'll be able to keep $5K in total assets. Everything else will be seized (you'll probably still be able to keep your car and belongings). Try to spend anything above this on things you need (doctor checkups for the kids, for example) as well as the things that bankruptcy doesn't take care of like taxes and student loans.

Don't transfer assets (that is, don't gift a car to a family member) or spend frivolously knowing that you'll be filing.

Be as upfront as possible to your lawyer. Any mysterious accounts that may turn up that your lawyer is unaware of will only hurt you in the long run.

Remember you're after a fresh start. If it means sacrificing your $5K bankroll, so be it.

Hope that helps,

serling
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes even medical science can't stop one from slipping past the goalie

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who's kids are 13, 11, and one, I can back you up on that one [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I would say that since you're about to enter a difficult and stressful period, I wouldn't even worry about poker for now, even if you consider it an income. Between worrying about going on a bad run, and worrying about getting caught, it's probably not the best time for gambling.

Martin
Old 11-22-2004, 04:44 PM

thank you everyone. i think i just need to suck it up and take my medicine. bankruptcy is bankruptcy. i was just looking for a silver lining to keep me going...
Old 11-22-2004, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's easy for me to say, but I vote for keeping the bankroll. Throw legality and ethics out the window. The kids have to eat. Warm and fuzzy feelings about doing the "right thing" don't put food on the table or clothes on their back. The family is the #1 concern. If he's very certain that he can make money at poker, and it helps provide for his family, he should definitely keep the bankroll.

As the saying goes: "... and it's not even close."

KoW