Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Best books in different disciplines

Is there any consensus as to what are the "best" poker books across the different types of poker? I am looking to build a library and want to start with those books that are at least widely regarded as some of the best written within in each type of poker. Much thanks.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Best books in different disciplines

It seems that youve found alot of the best books already by the fact youre on this forum. I have red a couple other books not published by 2+2 (super syayem, killing online poker by vorrahus?? liiked at winning low limit holdem by jones) The books that have helped me the most are the 2+2 books.( HEPFAP, TOP, SSH)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:27 PM

This is a very broad question. Use the "search" link.

It's just too long of a list for me to go through right now.

Whatever you do, get The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:21 AM

Yes, it is a broad question as I am putting together a library in my poker room and by its very nature a library will contain broad resources. If anyone can list a few books in each of the main types of poker, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, thanks for your time anyway.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:03 AM

Here's my list-many of this books I've read, some I've included just because I've heard consistent good things about.

General Theory: Theory of Poker (Sklansky)-must have

Limit Holdem (low limit): Winning Low Limit Holdem (Jones), Small Stakes Holdem (Miller), Gary Carson's holdem book, material on the web by Abdul Jalib

Limit Holdem (mid-stakes): Holdem for Advanced Players (Sklansky/Malmuth) (Ciaffone's book is also supposed to be good).

No-Limit Holdem: Super/System (Brunson) with the provision that it is dated and the new edition is coming, Championship Pot Limit/No Limit Holdem (Cloutier-McEvoy)-better for tourneys than cash games, advice often weak-tight.

I feel that the NL books are not as strong as the limit books which might be due to the nature of the games. Limit is more of a "science" while no-limit is more of an "art".

Tournament Poker: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (Sklanksy)-not his best work but all serious tourney players have read it; you might also check out Tournament Poker by McEvoy. I don't think the tournament poker bible exists yet-maybe Harrington's book will fill this void.

7 Card Stud: 7 Card Stud for Advanced Players (Ray Zee)-a gentler intro to 7CS is the book by Ashley Adams (Adams is to stud what Lee Jones is to holdem); also Chip Reese's chapter in Super/System

Razz: Sklansky on Poker is the definitive work on this game.

Stud/8 & Omaha/8: Ray Zee's book on split pot games is the standard for these games. There's a lot of good Omaha/8 info on the net at Steve Badger's and Annie Duke's sites.

Omaha: I don't have any strictly Omaha books, but I've heard good things about Ciaffone's book. Cloutier and McEvoy also have an Omaha book-some people think it's OK and some think all of their books are terrible.

Draw/Lowball: Caro's chapter in Super/System, Winning Concepts in Draw and Lowball by Malmuth, Michael Weisenburg's columns in CardPlayer. Caro and Malmuth's material is solid but dated since it assumes the structure that existed in the "Gardena" days before holdem was legal in California. Weisenburg's columns are geared towards how draw poker is played online today.

Triple Draw Lowball: ??? Big gap in literature. There is supposed to be a chapter on it by Daniel Negraneau in the new Super/System. Literally the best thing I've read on TDL is a rec.gambling.poker post by everyone's favorite paranoid troll Russ Georgiev. (Search google or recpoker for "Triple Draw" and "Russ G" and you will find it.)

I've probably forgotten some good books, but this should get the thread going. Also, search out the old threads talking about these books-lots of good info is in the archives.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:54 AM

Thank you so much. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Last thing. Any online books you might recommend? Again, thanks ALOT!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:27 PM

I would add to Mr. Bayes' list these gems...

Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney
The Psychology of Poker By Alan N. Schoonmaker, Ph.D.
Caro's Book of Poker Tells by Mike Caro
Zen and the Art of Poker by Larry W. Phillips
Old 11-16-2004, 06:27 PM

Ok I'll add a couple.

Middle Limit Hold'em by Ciaffone is a great book for limit holdem. Inside the Poker Mind is also a great book.

For NL holdem, I think NL Texas Holdem The New Player's Series by Daugherty & McEvoy is the best intro to the game. PL & NL Poker by Ciaffone & Rueben is the best book on the subject at this time. There are some great ones coming out w/in the next year though, SS2, Harrington's books, Sklansky's NL book, and Ciaffone also has a new NL book coming out. I can't see any of them being bad.

For 7CS, I(& many others on this board) recommend 7 Card Stud by Roy West as a great book for beginners. Also, the Chip Reese section of Super System is supposed to be very good.

Some other general poker books you will probably want to get at some point:

The Psychology of Poker
Improve Your Poker
Poker Essays I, II, III
Real Poker II - The Play of Hands
Old 11-22-2004, 02:07 PM

An addition to my list:

NL/PL Holdem (and other games): I just got Ciaffone's and Reubens "No Limit and Pot Limit Poker" last week. I wish I got this book months ago-best I've read yet for NL/PL cash games.