Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Would you chop?

Heads up. 1st pays $2550, 2nd pays $1550.

You are in second with 330K T and your opponent has 430K T.

The blinds are 15K - 30K. You have played with your opponent for about an hour and would rate him to be a little bit looser than you and a little bit more passive. He offers to chop 1st and 2nd place money 50/50 with you.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Would you chop?

I would chop at this point in the game you are down even if you feel you are the better player there is always a chance at becoming very unlucky and at those blinds a few bad beats and your done.

just my two cents worth
Old 11-20-2004, 09:53 PM

I'm pretty happy to chop here... Why gamble for the rest (because the blinds are so high)... In heads up its too easy to be forced to lose when the cards dictate it and there's nothing you can do. I wouldn't take that chance when you're behind right now and getting a 50-50 offer.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 PM

Depends how important the extra 500 dollars is to you.

If I feel like I'm the better player, I'm taking the chance here and playing for the 2500. Especially if he's the one offering the chop, because then he's tired of playing me, most likely.

-Edge
Old 11-20-2004, 11:59 PM

Speaking of chops, how do you like this one...

In a 30+10 rebuy/double add-on tourney, the payout was to top three - 1600, 900, 700, or something similar. They ended up chopping five ways 1200, 5, 5, 5, 5. My friend was on the short stack at the chop, and ended up getting 500, which he would have never gotten without the chop. I thought this was great for him, but if I were first, who had 3/4 of all the chips, I'd never agree to this.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:23 AM

with stacks this low, your skill level would have to be significantly greater than your opponents to turn down such a fantastic offer.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with stacks this low, your skill level would have to be significantly greater than your opponents to turn down such a fantastic offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. The opponent was described as too loose. But the stacks are only about 10x the big blind, so you don't really want a loose opponent here headsup since you can't wait for good hands.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:40 AM

It would depend on how fast blinds increase. Is this online or live.

I really dont like to chop, but if your running bad, chopping is a must, its a good deal too, he's getting the worst of it.

It also depends if your good at heads up play, and how good you can play a very low stack.

I personally would not chop, as I want to get first place naturally. I won my first tourament online the other morning, and before we got heads up, we had a 5 min break, and he was discussing that we should chop, we had pretty even stacks, and the blinds were very low to the relation of our stacks so I refused.

I got him in like 5 hands, whew...