Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Pitching cards

[ QUOTE ]
..... Concentrate on putting spin on the card, so that it doesn't catch air under it and flip over.......

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, you're still throwing the cards, just with your middle finger instead of your whole arm and wrist. The faster the card spins, the less likely it is to flip over. Sit at on end of the table and practice if needed.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Pitching cards

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the bad explination, just keep practicing and remember to keep the card spinning. It won't flip over that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad explination. Subject just requires video, that's all.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:41 PM

Default My pitching tutorial

For right handers:
<ul type="square">[*] Hold deck in left hand with the front edge slightly downward and push a card to the right with your thumb. You need to be able to get exactly one card. As you practice the card will push off very consistently. Practice sliding it off and back on a few times.[*] Now when you slide your card off, pinch it between the right thumb and index finger while laying your middle finger along the right edge.[*] In one motion, lift the left thumb and extend the right middle finger without moving your hands. *bing* The card just flew like a frizbee (we hope).[/list]
Do this slowly and deliberately at first to practice the push/straighten/release motion. Make sure you keep the "nose" of the deck pointed slightly downward. Do not let your hands change position relative to each other. At first, pitch straight across from yourself. Then, set up your poker table and practice pitching to piles of chips. As you move around the table, "walk" it with your shoulders so you don't have to move your hands/arms much. Add beers, smokes, ashtrays... whatever is normally there as you get better. Once you can do that you'll be able to entertain yourself and small children by pitching cards across the room into a hat. By this time you'll probably be the dealer for your home games and you'll be sick of it. This is when you should learn how to second and bottom deal. Then show your friends you can do it. Then you don't have to deal any more [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: My pitching tutorial

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the details. The suggested video example would be a bonus, but I will gladly work with this for now.

thanks again..
Old 11-20-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: My pitching tutorial

After 20-some replies to this post, I think that despite all of the increasingly detailed descriptions about how to do it, something else is missing. When I started dealing I asked the older dealers how to pitch, they would invariable say "like this" and do it real fast a million times really accurately. Finally, after watching it enough and practicing a lot I got really good at it, you simply have to watch someone do it a lot (someone who is good), I could not imagine reading how to pitch and then being able to do it.

Despite saying that

Tip: (I know other people have already said it)

- Your wrist should remain straight, the fingers are the ones that make it happen.