Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Irrational People and Thoughts

I think that because we play poker, most of us are more rational people in life. I think that it makes us take a deeper thought process toward life situations. I feel like I think about situations and likely outcomes and have a better decision making process than a lot of people I know. I do not know if this has came from poker, or this reason is why I like poker. Does it ever blow your mind when you try to figure out what some Irrational ( or foolish ) people around you are thinking when they make some of the decisions that they make. What do you guys think about this?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Irrational People and Thoughts

I have found that in life, as in poker, most people are idiots. Hell, drive around or go to a fair/Wal-Mart and you'll see proof of this.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:34 PM

X, if proof is what you are looking for go eat at, or walk into, a WaffleHouse. You will find what you are looking for. The "regulars" who eat there look like relatives of Chew Bacca. Even the cook looks a little "roughed up." I walked in one once, looked around, got scared, and ran home.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:26 PM

i dont get it, are you saying people who shop at wal-mart are idiots? people do idiotic things when theyre shopping?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:21 PM

I agree with this. Just go out anywhere and watch the human zoo. People take 6 month old babies to movie theaters, drive after consuming a quart of whiskey, say stupid things to women and expect to get layed (although this one works many times), etc.. Life is truly a comedy.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont get it, are you saying people who shop at wal-mart are idiots? people do idiotic things when theyre shopping?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 pound bag - $6.99
10 pound bag - $14.99

People buy the 10 pound bag.

I was looking at coupons for pizza the other day:

1 medium pizza - $8.99
1 medium pizza and 2 litres of pepsi - $10.99

I was at Burger King the other day and decided to see how much I would save by ordering a combo meal. The price of everything individually came to the exact same price as the combo meal.

I once worked at a store which sold sandwiches by the half or the whole. Someone asked for four halves. I told him I was going to ring it in as two wholes since it was cheaper that way. He got upset and left.

And then there was the person... "My friend just paid you with a $10 bill." "No, that was a $1." "It was a $10." "Ma'am, there's not even a $10 bill in the cash register." "I work at a bank. I know what a $10 bill looks like. She gave you a $10." "Ma'am, that's not possible. There are no $10 bills in the cash register. We just searched it." We had to call 911 to get her to leave.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:18 AM

You wrote: "I think that because we play poker, most of us are more rational people in life."

That's the thesis of my next book, "Business Is a Poker Game." It's being edited now, and Mason will publish it early next year.

I believe that poker is a MUCH better teacher than sports, chess, bridge, and any other game.

In fact, poker winners resemble the "rational man" of classical economic theory.

Regards,

Al
Old 11-20-2004, 02:55 AM

heh, ok then.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:57 AM

Well, poker does teach one to be more rational about some situations - specifically those that have an element of uncertainty or uncontrollable randomness to them. These situations are MANY in life, and looking at poker from a certain perspective can help in many life situations.

The problem is when irrational people play poker, they play it irrationally, and usually learn little from it, or their mistakes, and thus apply its concepts poorly, or not at all.

al
Old 11-20-2004, 03:10 AM

Poker can help train us to look at certain things more systematically, and that intentional practice can certainly provide benefits elsewhere in life, but it doesn't make us (as a group) kinder or more decent.

That's really all that matters.