Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Stud Hi hand where everyone will hate my play.

Hi,

That is one way to play it. Try to catch cards when your have the best of it. At the lower levels when nobody pays much attention you will still get payed off when you catch your hand.

At the higher levels its more likely the str8 wouldn't have called a raise from me if I had just called the raise from seat 7 as my hand looks like a draw of some sort.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also would really be thinkin' "straight draw" with this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

should be ::

I also would NOT really be thinkin' "straight draw" with this hand
Old 11-19-2004, 01:50 PM

Default That 3-bet on 6th street?

Am I missing something or is everyone else?

When seat 7 3-bets on 6th street, after a board of 4-6-2-3 raises, what does he have? I predict that the result is that our hero lost a few bets to a full house at showdown.

Seat 7 LAGtastic or not, I wouldn't cap 6th or bet 7th here.

Dick
Old 11-19-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: That 3-bet on 6th street?

Our hero already decided long ago that trip 7s wasn't probable and so I think the play is pretty good (except I'd put that raise in on the 6th)
Old 11-19-2004, 03:25 PM

I haven't read the other replies yet, so this may be redundant.

3rd - I like the raise, unless you've been trying to isolate this guy time after time. If it was apparent that you were just trying to get heads-up, then just call. Anyway, If Seat 2 (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) folds, you have a strong draw and two overcards to the rest of the board.

4th - Fine.

5th - Raise. You want to get Seat 5 out to improve your chances of winning with just Q's. Seat 7 might have trips, but you could be ahead, or at least drawing to a higher 2 pair. Also, the raise adds some deception (hopefully an ex 20/40 player would pay some attention) to the fact that you were playing a flush draw.

6th - Why the #$%& would you expect Seat 5 to raise? He's looking at an opponent w/ 3 to a flush on board, and one who's representing at least trips. Not only that, but unless he was slowplaying, how would that 3 help him enough to warrant raising? Raise right off the bat while you can feel confident you're in the lead...and pray he has a 5 so he'll call 2 cold.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to bet here. Everyone will call with worse hands and only raise with hands the beat me

[/ QUOTE ]
7th - Seat 7 3-bet, and then checked to you? It smells like a CR...but you're right. You have to bet. This logic isn't the best though. It sounds like you're willing to lay it down to a raise...when Seat 5 looks like he'd raise you with a straight.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My mentor, who played with him for several months at 20/40, said he was overly agressive and overplayed bad hands. Maybe thats not complete psycho, but I'm leaning towards him only having two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never played at the 20/40 level, but I feel pretty safe in assuming that "overplaying a hand" in 20/40 could be called "betting and raising for value" in 3/6.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:28 PM

I guess you're right ... Hero has decided that. But wow ... After seat 7 re-raises a probable straight, I would not voluntarily bet any more ... just call in from then on.

I certainly agree that my hand is too good to fold - just check-call to the end.

Dick
Old 11-19-2004, 07:13 PM

Hi,

Think it through. What hand could he have that would willingly 3 bet a J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that that 2 bets with an A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 4 other people yet to act behind him?

To have a FH he'd have had to raised with a baby pair on 3rd. He caught a 2 on 5th, but so did seat 5, so thats not very likely. He caught a 6 on 5th, but seat 5 had one on 4th so thats not very likely. His most likely hand is Two pair as I'm giving seat 5 the credit for having a 7.

So he has 1:4 chance to catch the FH given all his dead kickers IF he has trips. So if I'm calling because I don't believe he has a FH, I should raise for value as the seat 5 is drawing dead or if he's drawing to the boat drawing slim ahe shares some kickers with seat 7.

Betting/capping after you make your flush is dependent on your opponents. If I was certain he had trips I'd still bet 7th as I can't fold and I don't want seat 5 to bet and then get CR by seat 7 and leaving me facing two cold with the chance of it getting raised again. So I bet to force seat 5 into a crying call rather then a bet for value when its checked to them and thus not have to worry about having seat 5 doing something stupid if seat 7 CR.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi,

5th : I would have raised had I been reasonably certain he only had 1 pair, but thinking about it, Your right. Catching the live Q gives me 2 more outs and makes my hand stronger so I should have raised and forcing seat 5 out is added bonus.

6 : I had a hunch. A gut feeling. It could have been wrong or he might have raised anyways. Its something I do in hold'em when the tables a bit to tight, I'll call and hope for over calls with big made hands that might scare people drawing dead if they have to call two cold.

7 : I would have raised seat 5 if he'd raised. I probably would have folded if I had to call two cold, but I'd call the CR even though I would be 95% certain he had a FH. Against a predictable player I dont think I'd call, but against him I feel I'd have to call.

Thanks,
MArkV.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:12 PM

Okay, I don't raise on 3rd here. Most players really can't put you on a hand (or won't) just because youcall instead of raise here. There's lots of ways to vary your play. And, as you note, you tie yourself onto a hand that you may want to drop on 4th. OTher than that, I think you played fine.