Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should i value bet the river?
Yes 23 88.46%
No 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Touranment Situation

4 people are left, top 3 get paid. You have AQ o/s and two people are all in in front of you, one of the two has your stack covered. Do you call in this situation?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Touranment Situation

Sorry, i don't want you to think this is just a poll, i would really like to know your reasoning behind your answer. Me and my buddy have complete opposite views so i really don't know which move is correct.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:27 PM

Calling seems pretty horrible here.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:40 PM

Without knowing the prize structure or the buy in, I would say generally, calling with AQ here is disaster. Why? Because you are way behind AK, AA, KK, and QQ. Gap concept what it is on the bubble, I would be worried about that the caller of the push would have one of these 4 hands.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:52 AM

If u call that you shouldnt even be playin hopefully that was a free roll If it was a free roll who cares call doesnt matter
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 AM

Using a rational thought process, you simply cannot call here. Beyond the possibility of being behind those hands, there's just too many variables with two guys all-in before you. Those cards can fall any which way, and you'd most likely be in big trouble if you called. Take it from me, I was knocked from a live tourney not too long ago when I foolishly called two all-ins before me with A-K. I ended up finishing third in the hand to K-Q and A-J after the flop was two queens and the turn was a jack. Only call there with a high wired pair.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:58 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Fold You Fools, Fold! (as spoken by Gandalf, if he played poker)

Seriously man, you're one out from the money and there's two players all-in. You have to figure one of them at least has you beat with either A/K or a pocket pair. You're better off getting outta the way and moving into the money.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:09 AM

No. Full handed AQ is not that good pre flop without folding equity. 4 handed it is reasonably strong, but not with two people already showing strength, especially on the bubble where at least the second person in will have a real hand. Muck it and be happy two people are butting heads, very very very easy laydown. (Even against two random hands you lose here 52% of the time)
Old 11-19-2004, 08:53 AM

Anyone that answers this question with a yes or a no needs to work on their poker game.

There is simply not enough information to answer this question. You need to give more details, i.e the blinds, stack sizes, payout structure, and player tendancies couldn't hurt.

For those that think this is an easy laydown, what if the blinds are 1000/2000, and the big stack has 15000 chips? What if 1st pays out $100, and 3rd only pays out $5? What if both players are extremely loose? It also sounds like you are second in chips, and you only need to beat one player here in order to make the money. I could go on.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 AM

Pay Day first, bragging rights later.