Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the history of your online bankroll
I deposited a small amount (two hundred or less) and now have a bankroll over four figures. I have never deposited again 23 33.33%
I have deposited a few times, but now I have a stable online bankroll and I dont deposit anymore 21 30.43%
I started with one deposit, or maybe a few, and now make serious money playing cards with a bankroll over ten grand or damn close to it 15 21.74%
I am awful, I have deposited to many times to count and I lose it all 4 5.80%
I dont have a bankroll, I simply put money in from time to time and eat it If I lose or take it and run If I win 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Arrrggh, A/A all-in called by FIVE IDIOTS!

[ QUOTE ]
So, I get called by J/J, 5/5, the doofus with Q/J suited, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the title of your post. Excuse me but who's the doofus.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 PM

Default FOLD PREFLOP

you know they're all going to call you anyways -- it's a 1 dollar tournament. Just fold preflop and look for a better chance to win chips
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Re: FOLD PREFLOP

I flat call the pre flop raise and then check fold the flop - too many callers means no matter what the opponent's have, it has to have hit someone.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: People suggesting I read a book

I'm not going to debate elitist with you (some people can be harsh because they've seen a question dozens and dozens of times), but the plain fact remains that the thinking you're describing here is weak, and it costs you money in the long run.

It's a "survival" mentality, when you need to have a "Win" mentality. You need to look at tournaments similar to ring games. Yes, if you bust out on that had, you're done. With that tournament. You can then play another. Entering a tourney is just making a wager with a portion of your bankroll on a single event (it just happens that the event is made up of several smaller events).

The point is that 51% of the time, you will win that hand and greatly increase the chances of not only making the money, but winning the tournament.

The entry fee is $x. If, in those 51% of the times you win the hand, you increase your win by $x, you come out ahead in the long run (that is, 49% of the time when you lose, you've lost $x. 51% of the time you've won that same $x, cancelling out the loss, and then a little bit extra).

An extreme example: You enter 10 $1 tournaments, and this exact same hand comes up in each of them, at the exact same point. In 5, you end the hand with T6000, and in 5 you lose and are done. In the 5 you win, you go on to finish in the money all 5 times, earning $y.

Now, you play 10 more times, and at the exact same spot you get AA, but now you only get 1 or 2 callers. So lets say you win 80% of the time, but only end up with T2000 (on average). You lose the other 20% of the time and are done. However, with that T2000 you only make the money 3 times out of the 8 you survive, and you make $y/2 total.

That's the view you need to have as to why 5 callers with crap you're way ahead of is better in the long run than 2 callers who won't pay you off because they realize they're beat.

You MUST get from thinking "I don't want to lose" to "I want to win".

Assume you have a set % chance to win the tourney at the start. You can do things that increase or decrease that %, and your opponents can do things that increase and decrease your %. Those people calling/going all-in vs. your aces increases your % chance. That's a good thing, and it cannot be disputed (well, maybe if you were in the unique situation that this tournament was the last one you could ever play...).

Look at Blackjack. You have a fixed % chance to win at the start of the hand, and specific situations in which you are allowed to take actions that increase your EV. You double down when you are in a situation to win more than you lose in the long run. It's the same exact idea.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Worst. Thread. Ever.

Especially the idiots who agree with the first idiot.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I avoid limit hold em ring games, you'll get a table full of chasers and premium hands then have trouble holding up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those rock gardens are a lot more profitable. You can win the blinds when you open raise AA from MP. That is some sweet, sweet money, there.

You may think everyone is picking on you, but your thinking is just fundamentally wrong. You need to read (and UNDERSTAND) a few books. Also check out the various forums for good advice (in addition to the good advice you are getting in this thread).
Old 11-19-2004, 06:33 PM

This is why I avoid limit hold em ring games, you'll get a table full of chasers and premium hands then have trouble holding up.

You need to reread Theory of Poker, specifically the Fundamental Theorem. This is exactly what makes these games so profitable.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But this is tournament poker, not a ring game. I thought you were supposed to avoid the coin flips early-on if possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

... then bet heavy but don't go all-in until after the flop?

isn't there some quote about pocket aces winning you a lot of small hands and losing a lot of big ones?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:24 AM

Im not going to bother to read all the responses, but I'm sure this exact thing is said like 50 times.

YOU WANT PEOPLE TO CALL YOU WITH WORSE HANDS, THAT IS HOW YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY. Be happy you had 5 morons call your retarded preflop push.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:29 AM

Folks like you are the reason games are good for folks like me. No ofennse. But seriously, you have an incredibly +EV situation. What's not to like?