Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Poker Tracker Testimonials? Should I Buy?

I'm bumping this thread as a public service. (I probably shouldn't do this but this forum has hooked me up so many times I want to give a little back)

I've had Poker Tracker for a month but only recently have I been maximizing its potential. Many of you know how powerful this program is but for those who don't this may be the single most valuable advice you ever receive!
The above points are great but no one mentioned this...

The single greatest thing about Poker Tracker is what it can do in helping you get quick reads on your opponents. Many people don't realize that there is an observed hands ability on Party Poker (possibly others I'm not sure). Party Poker not only saves the games you play in but also saves hands you have only observed on your hard drive. This means that you can open four tables on Party Poker, without sitting down, and it will take data on the games that are being played. My computer has four tables open 24 hours a day and my database is quickly getting huge. Poker tracker can then auto-rate players (see bisonbison's "note on notes" thread) for you. It will give you an icon for each player telling you if they are LAG, fishy, maniac, or TAG. These icons quickly let you know if they play too many hands, are aggressive pre or post flop, passive pre or post flop etc... This is incredibly important info that will take many orbits to and lots of attention to sort out on your own.

Now when I sit down at a table there is a good chance I'll have a profile of a few of the players at the table despite the fact that I've never actually played against any of them. The first thing I do when I start playing at a table is turn on the auto-import feature on Poker Tracker. It automatically adds the data I'm collecting to my Poker Tracker database every 5 minutes. I then open an external game window and plug in all the players I'm playing againt into their respective slots. The external game window gives me valuable info like VP$IP, PFR%, BB/100, total $$ won or lost on what's actually happening with every player on the table I'm playing at. As I play the external game window updates itself automatically including all the hands that were played in the last five minutes. It gives me such an edge it feels like cheating!

If you don't understand how to get these functions working go to pokertracker.com download their latest patches and help files and check out their forums. This may seem intidating and too difficult but it's well worth the time an effort to get this system going. I'm ashamed it has taken me so long to get around to doing this. Are you thinking about moving up a level? Observe 50,000 hands at the level you'll soon be playing at first! You'll have good profiles on many of the layers you'll soon be facing. This could mean the difference between being successful at the higher limit or having to move back down with your tail between you legs!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm bumping this thread as a public service. (I probably shouldn't do this but this forum has hooked me up so many times I want to give a little back)

I've had Poker Tracker for a month but only recently have I been maximizing its potential. Many of you know how powerful this program is but for those who don't this may be the single most valuable advice you ever receive!

The single greatest thing about Poker Tracker is what it can do in helping you get quick reads on your opponents. Many people don't realize that there is an observed hands ability on Party Poker (possibly others I'm not sure). Party Poker not only saves the games you play in but also saves hands you have only observed on your hard drive. This means that you can open four tables on Party Poker, without sitting down, and it will take data on the games that are being played. My computer has four tables open 24 hours a day and my database is quickly getting huge. Poker tracker can then auto-rate players (see bisonbison's "note on notes" thread) for you. It will give you an icon for each player telling you if they are LAG, fishy, maniac, or TAG. These icons quickly let you know if they play too many hands, are aggressive pre or post flop, passive pre or post flop etc... This is incredibly important info that will take many orbits to and lots of attention to sort out on your own.

Now when I sit down at a table there is a good chance I'll have a profile of a few of the players at the table despite the fact that I've never actually played against any of them. The first thing I do when I start playing at a table is turn on the auto-import feature on Poker Tracker. It automatically adds the data I'm collecting to my Poker Tracker database every 5 minutes. I then open an external game window and plug in all the players I'm playing againt into their respective slots. The external game window gives me valuable info like VP$IP, PFR%, BB/100, total $$ won or lost on what's actually happening with every player on the table I'm playing at. As I play the external game window updates itself automatically including all the hands that were played in the last five minutes. It gives me such an edge it feels like cheating!

If you don't understand how to get these functions working go to pokertracker.com download their latest patches and help files and check out their forums. This may seem intidating and too difficult but it's well worth the time an effort to get this system going. I'm ashamed it has taken me so long to get around to doing this. Are you thinking about moving up a level? Observe 50,000 hands at the level you'll soon be playing at first! You'll have good profiles on many of the layers you'll soon be facing. This could mean the difference between being successful at the higher limit or having to move back down with your tail between you legs!

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent point, and something I should already be doing now...

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on combining PT with playerview?
The screenshots look nice. Anyone have experienc with it?
http://home.comcast.net/~amirpc/
Old 11-18-2004, 01:52 PM

allright, I'm up to 900 hands or so with the free version myself. I'm going to buy it as soon as I get home.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent point, and something I should already be doing now...

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on combining PT with playerview?
The screenshots look nice. Anyone have experienc with it?
http://home.comcast.net/~amirpc/

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know the same thing. I saw this link yesterday and it looks awesome. Any one using it?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM

I've been using PlayerView instead of the gametime window for a while and like it a lot so far. You miss out on the ability to scroll through "known hands", but I can live with that. Once you create/import a layout that suits you it's the goods.