Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Issues with Swings

Anyone else have trouble adjusting to the swings at 5/10? What would a normal swing be? I have been finding in the past week that my game goes something like this:

Play 5/10.
Drop a rack.
Play another table.
Win it back and some more or drop a little more.

At one point I was down like 60BB which stung a little. I brought it back to where I am down 20BB. It just seems like alot more money than 3/6. I know. Bad attitude. Just expressing my experience of the last week and wondering what other people find at this level.

I find it a little hard to deal with the swings at this level. Probably because I just started playing. It is also hard to say if I am on a bad run or this is going to be the norm. I also have been improving my aggression which could explain it a little. I usually am at a lousy .90 post flop, but have been getting it up around 1.3 lately. Pre-Flop my aggression is fine. On the good side it gives me alot of emotional garbage to look at and deal with and it causes me to question my play alot more which should lead to growth.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Issues with Swings

if you are consistently dropping a rack of red at *live* 5/10, you may want to re-evaluate. Not saying you arent as good as you think you are, but we usually arent. Every five ten game i have ever played live has been at least as good as the party 2-4 game, which is considered pretty easy. You may just be on the downward spiral of variance, but, thats a lot of variance.

Now, if this is online 5-10, i cant speak with any authority, but im still going to wonder at a consistent swing of 50BB's

peace

john nickle
Old 11-18-2004, 06:31 PM

I am currently at a 150 BB downswing at 5/10 and over the last 12k hands I've played there I'm down 25 BB. It happens (or perhaps I suck? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

Kludde
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'm confused... when you say rack, I assume you mean rack of red, which is 100 BB. you're talking about 60 BB stinging and 100 BB being normal. please clarify. and are you talking about playing live or playing 1 table online?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 PM

uh,, isnt a rack of red,,, 50BB's? If not, there are some cages out there that owe me some serious money...

although, yes, this post was very confusing.

peace

john nickle
Old 11-18-2004, 07:38 PM

I made some similar posts a few months back as I worked my way to steady $5/$10 play. I got stuck 70BB in my first 4000 hands and wondered why I couldn't seem to win. The game is different, it takes some getting used to.

The dollar amount also bothered me, although my bankroll was alright for the game. The next 6000 hands turned around nicely and I am playing a single table at one site and I bring everything to the table so I always have plenty and the swings don't bother me.

I usually play two other tables of $3/$6 or $5/$10 on Party at the same time, and the swings are lessening. I've also done some $10/$20 and $15/$30 when the games are good. I imagine you will get used to the swings, and you will begin winning. Bicyclekick also mentioned a similar loss when he started (about $500 in 5000 hands). It happens.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused... when you say rack, I assume you mean rack of red, which is 100 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rack of red=100 $5 chips=$500=50 $5/10 BBs
Old 11-18-2004, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it a little hard to deal with the swings at this level. Probably because I just started playing. It is also hard to say if I am on a bad run or this is going to be the norm. I also have been improving my aggression which could explain it a little. I usually am at a lousy .90 post flop, but have been getting it up around 1.3 lately. Pre-Flop my aggression is fine. On the good side it gives me alot of emotional garbage to look at and deal with and it causes me to question my play alot more which should lead to growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

looking at your stats alone isn't enough to tell you how you're doing. you can be proud of your increased aggression, but how good is that really going to do you if you dont' knwo the context in which you're being more aggressive?

also, yes, poker is very swingy.

post hands to see how well you're doing, not general stats.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:58 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Party 5/10 is a really swingy game. I'd suggest a bigger bankroll than usual. Or just skipping that limit altogether.

But no, you're not alone. I gave it a whirl last year and I hated it.