Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Table is playing pretty tight. 7-7 UTG+2. You limp, folded to CO who raises, folded to BB who 3-be
Cap 2 1.10%
Call 43 23.63%
Fold 137 75.27%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Poll: How lucky or unlucky have you been?

[ QUOTE ]
I think poker players as a group will tend to under-estimate their luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the opposite to be true. I believe they will tend to over quantify the amount of "bad luck" they have had. This is due to the fact that the bad beats are always easier to remember than the time they got lucky to win a hand. In addition, I would say that a good portion of 2+2ers don't often let themselves in to situations where they need to get "lucky" to win a hand. They play solid poker and often don't play against the odds.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:15 AM

Although I've probably played too much poker to have had much different than average luck, I chose somewhat unlucky. This is because most of my worst luck has been concentrated when I play for higher stakes and the larger buyin tourneys I've played.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
born healthy to a good family in the USA. Consider myself blessed.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen.

Bison - you certainly do have a nice way with words.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 AM

I took "fairly lucky" just because my PT tells me that my two most common pocket pairs are KK and QQ. Since such a large portion of your profit comes from winning with premium hands, I think getting more than my share of them is about all I could ask for.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 AM

"This is because most of my worst luck has been concentrated when I play for higher stakes and the larger buyin tourneys I've played."

I don't think I'm taking the bait here for some subtle sarcasm by asking but, if I am, wouldn't be the first time. Couldn't it be more than a conicidence between the bad luck and tougher opponents found at higher limits?

BTW - I like your responses Paluka and the fact that you're an NYC guy makes it that much better.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:16 PM

For me, it depends on what type of game I am playing. Ring games and stt I have had average luck, sometimes good sometimes bad, but no worse than anyone else playing 2/4 and $20 sitngos. But in MTT, I feel like I have been very unlucky. I have been concentrating on those a lot more for the past 5 or 6 months, and I am sometimes so frustrated that I don't know what to change. At first, I decided maybe I was putting myself in too many coinflips, so I tried to cut down on those. But for a while now, I am losing when I am way ahead. Not to turn this thread into bad beat posting, but my last several tourneys I have gone out with KK vs. QQ twice (allin preflop), AA vs. JJ, JJ vs. AQ after the flop and turn, and I cant count the # recently of people catching their kicker on me, i.e. AQ vs ATs, AK vs. AJ etc. I had to make myself stay out of coinflips, but I am not going to lay it down when I feel I am far ahead. It is just strange to me because I feel like I get the normal variance in ring games and stt. I guess it is that old saying about in tourneys you have to get lucky a few times, and I am the guy that people get lucky against.

PC
Old 11-18-2004, 12:37 PM

I was born in what was then a Third World country, moved to the US when I was 11 months old and grew up in a middle class household. In the grand scheme of non-remarkable life stories, it doesn't get much luckier than that.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:08 PM

I chose somewhat unlucky, as the majority of the "hands" you can't get away from - like set over set or what not, occurred more often when I tried playing a bit above my bankroll rather than in my regular games.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think poker players as a group will tend to under-estimate their luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the opposite to be true. I believe they will tend to over quantify the amount of "bad luck" they have had. This is due to the fact that the bad beats are always easier to remember than the time they got lucky to win a hand. In addition, I would say that a good portion of 2+2ers don't often let themselves in to situations where they need to get "lucky" to win a hand. They play solid poker and often don't play against the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant is .. players will often attribute their winnings to their play rather than attribute it to some fair share (or more) of luck. Players will often say "I make money and, man, it's no luck, because I haven't had much !"

While in fact, long term, we should all receive the same amount of "luck".

Underestimating positive luck and overestimating bad luck could fall somewhere in the same category.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
born healthy to a good family in the USA. Consider myself blessed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was going to point this out too, everyone on here bascially has no perception of how lucky they truly are for living in the best godd*mn country in the world. When it comes to poker, call me a pessimist but I really feel like I've been somewhat unlucky overall, if you had to quantify it. So in a way I guess it's sorta like balancing out the universe. I get rivered all the friggin time to make up for the fact that I'm American. People in Somalia probably catch cards all day.

Bison - you certainly do have a nice way with words.

[/ QUOTE ]