Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 AM

Default My Prediction For SS2

I think its gonna suck. I think its publishers realize there is a strong demand for poker books, and they are rushing to put out a book with some well know names on it.

This is my hunch. I hope I am totally wrong though.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Re: My Prediction For SS2

SSI was a quality work. I don't think Brunson and his coauthors make most of their money writing poker books.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think its gonna suck. I think its publishers realize there is a strong demand for poker books, and they are rushing to put out a book with some well know names on it.

This is my hunch. I hope I am totally wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A strong demand for poker books, written by well known poker players does not neccessarily make a bad book.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

It will, I'm certain, be one of those you need to read, even if only because so many others are going to as well.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:05 PM

I am really interested to read what Jennifer Harman wrote - I think she's covering the Limit Holdem section....that would be a damned good read - I heard she's rated one of the top 10 players in the world at that game -

RB
Old 11-17-2004, 02:01 PM

"quality work" Well i beg to differ. SS1 had great advice and was ahead of time, but in quality aspect and as a book itself it is poor. Hopefully SS2 have put some more emphasize on structur, language and so forth...
Old 11-18-2004, 08:17 AM

Hiya's,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If the recommendations from the pros are as good as SS1 ... it's a winner hands down. If not, then just DB's inputs will be enough for me.

Regards
Billy Zee
Old 11-18-2004, 11:16 AM

It's actually already an old book, so they sure have not just made it up, and we know it's 100% sure a quality book, though I hope it will be garbage as my opponents will read it as well. SS sure did not help my no-limit holdem game much, less so shorthanded, and much the same goes for limit holdem literature, so I am not actually very worried, and I have never seen anything dangerous, except some full ring holdem high quality preflop strategies. No one has ever put up a good after the flop strategy, or even a top quality preflop strategy on a book, so I am not expecting this book to be any different.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"quality work" Well i beg to differ. SS1 had great advice and was ahead of time, but in quality aspect and as a book itself it is poor. Hopefully SS2 have put some more emphasize on structur, language and so forth...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how completely unavaliable all of that information was at that point to the common man? I mean, all of Caro's odds charts, Doyle offering up his strategy as a sacrifice to the poker gods, Baldwin looking like a pretty boy and talking about how easy it is for him to win. I do agree that it is far less useful information than it once was, but I really believe it's been a starting point for many players for several decades. Sure, the NL advice could get you killed in a ring game, but I believe it's pretty solid LAG advice for tourny play. The book is to the point (with solid strategy), keeps you entertained with multiple hand stories and practical application, and has a helluva lot of charts and examples. What do you need a book to do, get down on its knees?

Freakin
Old 11-20-2004, 01:43 PM

Interesting prediction. I'm not sure, even from your comments, why you would really believe this. I loved SS 1, which I bought in 1984. It was the best around at the time. I don't expect SS2 to be the "best around" when it arrives (scheduled release to Doyle's room players Nov. 29, general public shortly theirafter), but I am sure it will be a good read.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]