Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Daytona Beach

Nowadays my biggest accomplishment is, well, I dont know if it should be considered a sports accomplishment, but one "special" occasion in Daytona Beach I drank 44 beers in one night and almost drowned in the Atlantic ocean after my friends decided to go swimming. I jumped over a wave and landed on my head on the ocean bottom and passed out for a minute. My boy Big Bean pulled me up and I regained concienceness. But 44 beers in one night has to be some kind of record.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Another

Oh yeah, I drank 29 beers one night and wrapped my car around a telephone pole and still lived. So that is another accomplishment!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Re: It\'s about damn time (total bragging)

Greatest sports achievement would have to be the time when I was sopohmore in high school. I was on the basketball team, but didnt get the most PT, so pregame a friend of mine and I are shooting to get warmed up, and I say to him..."I GARUNTEE you I hit a last second three but it wont matter because we will be up like 50." His reply was a pretty standard "Right, right." So...the game goes on, and we sit on the bench chatting, our team is handling the opponent with ease. Then the fourth quarter comes...we are up by about 30 with a few minutes remaining, and the coach starts putting in some fresh legs. We get the signal and are put in. Anyway, the clock is ticking down, maybe 5 seconds left, we inbound the ball, another friend of mine passes it over half court to me, I take one dribble, pull up and nail a triple as the buzzer goes off. I then casually glance over at my friend who I GARUNTEED a last second triple, give him a smile and a little shrug as if it were nothing and walk off the court. Needless to say, from that day on, if I garuntee something, he takes me word for it.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What was your greatest sports acheivement?

[/ QUOTE ]

During my Junior year of high school I was ranked #1 in San Diego high school for bodyboarding, #1 in BIA (bodyboarding international association), #2 in NSSA (national scholastic surfing association), and then I got 2nd in NSSA nationals.

There some other various stuff like winning 9 heats in a row, getting a 28 out of 30 a final, making the finals of 14 straight school contests, becoming the youngest person to ever win a BIA pro contest, winning college state championships, etc

I have at least 50 huge pointless trophies sitting around in my garage.

edit - bodyboarding is like surfing but you're lying down... "boogie boarding" *groan*
Old 11-18-2004, 04:43 AM

My greatest sporting accomplishments have come while playing with Rounder041 in our annual 2on2 easter bball touney.

There are 16 teams usually made up of one varsity player and one scrub (to keep it fair and competetive). Needless to say, Rounder is the stud and I am the scrub. In the first year the tournement was held, in our 2nd game, we were up against our other friend, Ben, (the kid rounder made the garantee to in the above post). Rounder had an off game and we were sure to lose. But I somehow stepped it up, scoring 7 of our 11 points and hitting the game winner. Ben, the friend whose team we beat will not let me hear the end of the fact that the "game of my life" came against his team.

The other best accomplshment happened this past easter. In a rematch of what was the best game the year before, Rounder and i were against the kid who organized the tournement, and arguably its bets overall player since it was played on his home court. Our game went into OT and it was "next bucket wins" so they decided to start fouling me every time i got the ball. ( I mentioned I am the scrub member of my team right?). The first time they did it i missed, but the second time I banked it home for the game winner of by far the best game of the whole tournement, finally avenging our hard fought loss from the year before.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:58 AM

I would deffinetly have to say that the game in the 2v2 Easter tourney was unbelieveable. The court was in this kids backyard...it was cement but it was only about 1 foot bigger than the lane all the way around.
There must have been like 50 people jammed right up against the court in folding chairs and on picknick tables. If they were to extend their legs, their feet would be on the court.

This was the game of the tourney.

The tourney usually lasted a number of hours seeing as there were quite a few teams, so people would get bored, wander around or even leave for a while, but not this time. Every last person was devoting 100% of their attention on THIS game. There were tons of people who came and didn't even play, they came, sat, and watched us play basketball for hours.
This game with NLSoldier and I vs. the host and his brother was like an epic battle. We went back and forth, each team hustling like mad, diving on the concrete, scraping our knees and elbows (we couldn't feel it, were numb with intesity) leaping over the closely packed crowd to save a loose ball, every posession mattered, every little play could have been the difference in the game.
We went back and forth each team scoring, then each team would stop the other, then one would get up by two posessions, and the other would rally back to tie the game. After much of this, we reached overtime. Where NLSoldier decided to shine... next team to score takes home the victory. Like he said, they chose to foul him, putting the pressure on, making him shoot the free throw in the clutch.
When he stood at that line, dribbling the ball, that backyard was silent, the only thing to hear was the sounds of the players on the court catching their breathe...

...NLSoldier took his time...

...looked up at the hoop and released...

...every head in the backyard could be seen following the shot, up it went, smack off the backboard and through! The crowd erupted! Mauling our team on the court, I didn't think it would have been possible to jam so many people onto such a small patch of concrete, but sure enough, those crazy fans made it happen. NLSoldier's clutch shot gave us a key W in the win column. He was the hero. Now that was a game for the ages.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:06 AM

I only scored about 10 goals in my soccer career, but in the final regular season game in which we were playing for the title one year (it was a four-way tie going into the last game and my team held all tiebreakers), I scored off the left post from 35 yards out with under five minutes to go to win the game 3-2. Lame, yes.

-Michael
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 AM

Not the greatest thing I've done, but one I took a LOT of satisfaction from, was in 13-year-old baseball. My friend (at the time) had a no-hitter going in the bottom of the seventh (which is the last inning at that level). I was at the plate with two outs and an 0-2 count on me when he shook his catcher off and threw me a fastball.

I hit a clean single to left, and found out later that I cost him a $300 skateboard that his dad promised him if he finished off the no-no.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hit a clean single to left, and found out later that I cost him a $300 skateboard that his dad promised him if he finished off the no-no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work! That is way too much to pay for a skateboard anyways.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your greatest sports acheivement?

[/ QUOTE ]

In high school, we were playing our rivals in basketball. Actually, we had two rivals. We were playing against one, and another, whose team must have had the night off since they were at our game, too.

Anyways, I got in foul trouble early, but hit a couple of jumpers late in the game, so I knew I was shooting good. There were 6 seconds left and we were down by two. Our point guard (nephew of ex-globetrotter, NC State Wolfpack, Clide the Glide Austin), drove the length of court and passed to me on baseline. I got fouled shooting a turn around with 1 second left.

The other team called time out to ice me. I had this calm smile on my face. All I remember thinking was "I can't believe they fouled me". It must have been all those games of 21 where you have to hit 21 exactly or you go back to 11, or maybe I just knew I was shooting well, but I was going to nail these shots.

So I step up to the line, and the players from the third school, in the stands, are chanting "Choke, choke, choke". So of course I hit both shots or I wouldn't have a story. In OT, I hit two more, or as the Richmond News Leader wrote, "calmly hit two free throws to send the game into overtime, and hit two more in overtime to lead the home blah, blah..."

I had better games statisticaly then this, but ever since then, whether it be the California Bar Exam, tough trials, 40-80 holdem...I always felt like I can come through under pressure.