Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Too ambitious?

Too ambitious? In my experience a retarded blind monkey can beat a 5-10 game, what am I missing?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:58 PM

Default I think it\'s a great idea!

You're young and got nothing to lose by giving it a shot except a years time, a year I'd expect you to enjoy alot (so you're not really losing it, just experiencing it)!
I say, go for it!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Convince me this is a terrible idea.

[ QUOTE ]
you'll need to make about five to ten million dollars at poker to pull that off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have some standard of living!. Congrats!.

I reckon I can live off and save from the interest of $2M in the bank... without any poker playing.

Not that making $2M at poker is an easy task though.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have since been working full time for the last two years for people that I am smarter than.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll hate even more working for people smarter than you.

It's not fun being a paid slave.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:08 PM

Last year I supported my family with low limit (less than 3-6 most of the time) and bonus whoring.

Let me tell you a secret: It can be done, but it's hell.

I will not continue the second year. I still don't know what I will do for money.

Some others, (search the Texas-Holdem forum), are doing very well for themselves.

In the end it comes to putting in the long hours come hell or highwater. It seems, by your own description, that you will not be able to do that.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Finish your degree, and then you can do whatever you want. Take a year and try to play, if it suits you, fine. If not, then fine. Realize that it is possible to do grad school and play a lot of poker, though. I've been doing this for over 4 years, and am almost done with my PhD, and I've done pretty well for myself at poker during this time.

Some things to think about:

You say that you don't have a problem with tilting. I hope that this is true, but I suspect that you don't have proper experience to determine this. Further, as you move up in stakes, which you'll have to do to make money, people sometimes don't look at bets as just bets. The money involved really starts to matter. Combined with the fact that better competition means more aggression and smaller edges, and you have a potentially volatile mix.

Also, realize that the poker boom will stop sometime, and to make a living, you'll have to play B&M, and at least 20-40. If you live in California, you can't live very well playing less than 40-80, IMO. Ideally, you're gonna need to play bigger than that, especially if you want a decent life. This will be harder to do in time, as games get smaller with time, due to higher rake, people going broke, and the like. Inflation also works against you.

The fact that you don't really sound like you have a bankroll would seem to be a problem. It'll take a good bit of time to build it up, especially at low limit poker - even online.

As long as you know all of this stuff, then go ahead. However, like I said, finish your degree, since after a year out of school, it'll be harder for you to go back and finish, and you would hate to look back and realize that you shut doors on your own life.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Playing poker for a living is a terrible idea.

If you want a carreer in poker, try being a dealer, you make more money without the swings and you pretty much do the same thing.

A lot of dealers get to play as props in their off time as well, so you be semi-pro.

If you hate computer programming and want to do something else, then try dealing poker or bartending, I assure you, it will be more rewarding and fullfilling.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:59 PM

First let me say I am not your mom. I don't really care what happens to you. My opinion is thus completely unbiased. That said, you may print out the following in 36 pt font and place it up in your bedroom, your bathroom, your fridge, or some place that you will see it every day:

Finish your degree now, or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Too ambitious?

But a retarded blind monkey wouldn't have the bankroll to deal with the swings.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:36 PM

Default My two cents.

While I'll agree that the job of professional gambler is not for everyone. You have to be ready for the swings and really really love the game. I'm not going to express my opinion as to wether or not you should try or how successful you should expect to be. Being you are seriously considering the venture I know you'll hear both sides arguments quite often.

If you are 1 year away from your BS I recomend you work on building your bankroll while finishing your last year. This way you ahve that completed and can take a poker break before attempting your phd. Also you need to be playing at least 5/10 to make enough money to support yoru self viably. Use the next year to get there. Be highly analytical and track everything. That way at the end of your school year you can basically prove to yourself and others you are a winning player and you are going to stay dedicated.

Also I'm going to link you to an article (that you may or maynot have read) that is semi-positive about being a pro.
As opposed to the ones that talk about how much it would suck and discourage you.

Becoming a pro part 1 - Mike Sexton

Becoming a pro part 2 - Mike Sexton

Becoming a pro part 3 - Mike Sexton

One other bit of advice, though it should be obvious. Don't expect to play poker professionally for the rest of your life. Your skill/interest will wane. Either as a result of a lack interest or just general mental deteriation. Use your winnings to invest in something and also if you do become successfull look for endorsments and other opportunities.

Someone mentioned how all of these top name players do things other than poker...its not becasue they don't make enough its because they either want more money, more security, or something more interesting.

Thats my 2cents, Hope I helped in some way.
Cheers,
Timothy Tyler Mayes