Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 02:56 PM

Default A lowly pair of 5s: Part 1

Its the first 3 minutes of a $100 MTT on stars and I get black 5s in middle position. I limp and LP bumps it to 80. Button calls, BB calls and I call. 4 to the flop witht 320 in the pot. Now comes the fun part, flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks, now what?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: A lowly pair of 5s: Part 1

My first thought here is too check. My reasoning may be a bit weak, but the rason I would check is that I would HATE a raise here, but wouldn't mind calling a bet from the PF raiser, and see if one of my 8 (6 safe) outs come on the turn. What do you think of the logic?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:04 PM

C/C up to PSB.

With the plan of maybe pushing on a card < T.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:08 PM

Does it matter whether the PSB comes from the PFRer of the CCer (note this CC is different from Soss's CC).
Old 11-16-2004, 03:10 PM

I'm guessing this didn't end well, because I saw you went out about five minutes in last night.

Ugh, that's tough. You obviously hate being reraised all-in if you make a pot-sized bet here. The other two fives are no longer outs for you unless you get all aces to lay down on the flop, which isn't likely. Aces are good cards for you, though chances are there are one or two already accounted for in your opponent's hands. I guess the only cards you really like seeing on the turn here is a 6.

This is probably weak, but I think I'm check-calling up to about half the pot to try to spike an ace or a six, and check-folding to any bet higher than that. Take your 1420 chips and wait for a better spot. You didn't flop the 5 you were looking for, and although this flop looks good at first glance, it's a pretty easy hand to go broke on.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it matter whether the PSB comes from the PFRer of the CCer (note this CC is different from Soss's CC).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...cold caller...took me a second...

I think it makes a big difference. I would much rather call the PSB from the PFR than the PFCCer since I would still have the PFR left to act behind me when I call. I would be closing the action vs. the PFR.

If there are calls in between, then I'm just playing for OESD value, and I will abort my turn semibluff push.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM

I have to say, I think there's a lot more going on here then you guys have touched on. The fact that this is 4 handed changes things a bunch in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:00 PM

I'm surprised nobody has said checkraise allin, if the bet comes from the PFR. As long as you're not against AA or 66 you have 10 outs if you're behind.

I dont know what I'd do if the preflop raiser bets and somebody comes over the top though.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:01 PM

I’m checking, maybe calling a small bet, and have an eye toward folding.
1. chances are decent you are beat by a higher pair from one of the others
2. even if you’re not beat now, overcards or spades could kill you
3. You only have 6 cards you’re happy to see (non-spade A/6)
4. If you hit one of your 6 cards the board looks scary to your opponent, and they can still have flush redraws
5. How much folding equity you have is unclear, as larger pairs and any two spades might well stick around

--Greg
Old 11-16-2004, 05:13 PM

4 handed im checking and calling perhaps a moderate raise...
Im not a huge fan on drawing early or making huge semi-bluffs against multiple opponents. I also am leery of drawing to a straight here with a flush possibly being made again especially with multiple opponents in the pot and this being early. Wow i just think I talked myself into just check folding here too anything but a minimum raise...