Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Conservative blinders?

I apologize. I'm afraid I based my assumption on only a few posts I read today. I tend to be an on again off again poster as I get frustrated with these types of discussions, yet I also love to have them. I myself have had trouble with people pigeonholing me into categories without really understanding my posts. Perhaps you are truly trying to be completely unbiased in which case I must salute you.

As far as the "liberal" media goes... I do believe that there are probably more slightly liberally media outlets than conservative ones. I don't believe however, that there is an overwhelming liberal bias that taints all news. I find it laughable that people think Fox news truly is "fair and balanced." I do think it is valuable to watch Fox as long as you realize it is a conservatively bent source. Like it or not, people such as the much debated Al Franken have provided fairly compelling evidence that the media is not especially biased. One example would be the evidence that (as far as political candidates go) more negative press has been published about Democrats that Republicans in recent elections. Of course, these types of studies may be biased themselves. I don't know. I do know I have't really heard any proof that the media definitely is universally biased. In either case, I don't see many papers or news stations calling for higher taxes or for fewer abortions or for reaching out to our French allies, instead of slapping them away. Oddly, the current French president is pretty conservative himself, but we'll be damned if anyone tells us what we are doing is wrong.

I admit I personally have a left wing bias. I rarely "stand up" to left wing fanatics. I don't agree with them entirely and I find their rhetoric to be irritating, but I suppose I just don't have the energy to fight a war on two fronts. Also, in my admittedly biased opinion, I see more flagrant problems with conservative rhetoric, thus they are easier to address.

Anyway, it's always good to see more people on this forum. I may or may not stick around for a while, but thanks for not getting combative. It's an all too common problem when addressing these kinds of issues.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Use of Statistics to prove any point

This correlation means absolutely nothing, it's pure mathematical nonsense.
If you agree with each states avg IQ, then you can say people with higher IQ tend to live in the Northeaast, and the people that voted in these areas voted for Kerry more than Bush. You can't say that IQ of MA Kerry Voters is higher than MA Bush Voters. Did all the high IQ voters in Pennsylvania vote for Kerry
It wouldn't take me long to come up with stats to prove just the opposite or any other thing I might be biased for.
Just because there is a correlation doesn't mean you can draw a conclusion.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Correlation?

If you believe that your correlation is correct, then it should hold true across all elections. I'd be interested in seeing the results of the Reagan vs. Dukakis election.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Use of Statistics to prove any point

[ QUOTE ]

This correlation means absolutely nothing, it's pure mathematical nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think my mathematics is correct and that there is a correlation.

[ QUOTE ]

If you agree with each states avg IQ, then you can say people with higher IQ tend to live in the Northeaast, and the people that voted in these areas voted for Kerry more than Bush. You can't say that IQ of MA Kerry Voters is higher than MA Bush Voters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could say that either of these scenarios could be the reason for the correlation, until some one proves either one wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't take me long to come up with stats to prove just the opposite or any other thing I might be biased for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for it, find some stats proving there is no correlation between the average IQ of a state and what presidential canidate won the state in 2004.

[ QUOTE ]

Just because there is a correlation doesn't mean you can draw a conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I didn't.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you believe that your correlation is correct, then it should hold true across all elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM

I should have made this more clear in my original post. I have not drawn any conlusions as to why there is a correlation. This was my open question.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM

I'd think there are muck more informitave statistics. those with higher IQs tend to have higher levels of education, and higher education tends to = liberal.

for this kind of analisys to be usefull, i'd like to see the same breakdown done with:
level of education vs IQ
Income level vs IQ
level of education vs state of residence
voter registration vs IQ
etc.

I would bet that a breakdown of registered voters IQ and state of residence vs electoral choice would yeild a different result.

the stupid people are the ones who don't vote, no matter what their IQ may be.