Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Preparing to move up to $20+2s

I logged 200 $5+.50 SnGs for an 55% ROI. I currently have 180 $10+1 Party SnGs logged for a 40% ROI. These boards have been tremendously helpful. My short handed play has improved dramatically. I can see the improvement over the last 100 SnGs with an ROI of 52%. Im kinda lost as where to start to improve my play. My mistakes are usually so horrible that even I can see them. For example, last night I pushed T4s from the SB into a loose aggressive big stack. We were 5 handed at the 50/100 level and I still had T800 in chips. I had just placed 5 in a row in the money. I get too cocky sometimes and think Im unbeatable.

Can anything be gained by posting stats with only 180 SnGs?

Read some books?

Post more hands?

Just move up and see how it goes?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Preparing to move up to $20+2s

Skirtus - I recently made this move and have not found a ton of difference between 10+1 and 20+2. There is a tad more deceptive play here, but not so much as to make the games unprofitable.

I still rely heavily on AleoMagus' 10+1 strategy guide from this site when it comes to the foundation of my play. It does a good job of getting you to the final five and is great tilt-protection for those times I finish out of the money three or more times in a row and want to push with A4s during level 2 out of sheer frustration. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I, too, find myself to be my own worst enemy - having Matusow-esque moments of complete loss of reason that cost me big time. I have a notebook that I keep beside my computer with a list of big mistakes I have made and I read over them at the beginning of every game. Helps to keep me focused.

Right now I am trying to improve my heads up play and get my ROI to 30% (I am at 27% right now).

Best of luck!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im kinda lost as where to start to improve my play. My mistakes are usually so horrible that even I can see them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would I be out of line if I suggested working seeing the mistakes *before* you make them and then not making them?

Not that I'm all that great shakes, but it's not always a strategic thing that's the next step.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 AM

I just made my first move into the $20s after a similar run and ROI at the $10s. I concur that there does not seem to be that big a difference. There are still folks willing to call an early round all-in with a AX. I do think the bubble play may be a little tougher. However, I have not played enough to make any definative assessments.

I am prepared to drop back to the $10s if I hit a predetermined loss limit.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:14 PM

Fold equity goes up as the limits go up. That's one of the big concepts. At the $10 level, people will call allins with A hi or even K hi, for no reason. At the $20, people are more willing to fold those marginal coinflip hands. There are terrible players at pretty much any buyin though.

One thing you can do is play both $20s and $10s. You don't have to completely move to ONLY $20s. If you're profitable at 10s, you can continue playing those, while getting your feet wet and making sure you can beat the $20s. With your ROI, you should be fine to beat the $20s though.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:18 PM

What are you waiting for? Seriously, if you are not sure whether you should move up with those stats, then nothing anyone says here will make any difference. Move up and give it try! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 01:32 PM

Lol. Yeah, Im moving up once I get 200 SnG's logged. Im just stuck when it comes to identifying leaks. I play alot of limit holdem and it is much easier to identify leaks in my limit game. Most of my mistakes seem to be brain cramps. So no more brain cramps would be a good start.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:12 PM

Hi, everyone has his own style. If income is not a big concern to you, build a solid foundation is not a bad idea.
You stats seems suggest $10 is not your optimal level to play in term of $/game, but if thats your confort zone, fine.

Most people agree there is little difference between levels. I have stayed at low level for a while despite high ROIs because I need to work HU play. Once I moved up I don't see any ROI drop, and $/game definitely increases.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:27 PM

IMO, People tend to be too cautious when it comes to "moving up". The reason is that they feel this is sone kind of committment. It isn't of course. If you're doing well, don't be afraid to take a shot at it. Set aside, say, 10 buy-ins and if things don't work out you can always go back, and take another crack at it later. From your results though you shouldn't have any prob.

I like the recommendation based upon "fold equity." That's true PF for sure. As a general rule, you're going to run into a little less stupidity and a little more aggression.

Good luck
A.J.