Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Scott Peterson shows what marriage is really about...

Marriage is not about society "sanctioning" something individuals want. Marriage is about giving the death penalty, possibly, to someone who is on the phone with another girl when his wife is missing.

There is very little direct evidence that Scott Peterson killed his wife - even though he probably did. Anybody who begs to get the death penalty for cheating - which is what Scott "asked" for when he "asked" for the "right" to marry, basically - is out of his mind.

Or look at Kobe, even. That ridiculous rape case wouldn't have gotten half as far as it did if Kobe weren't married.

Even in the law, husbands can get away with murdering their cheating wives if caught in the act. The same men doing the same thing to girls who weren't their wives, would get the chair.

Marriage is a moral, to be imposed on inherently irresponsible human beings like private property. You can't walk out of the grocery store without paying, and you can't talk to Amber Frey on the phone when your pregant wife is missing.

With all this divorce lately, some people have mistaken marriage for an extended date. If you weren't guaranteed to someday hate each other for whole years at a time - if you were instead guaranteed uninterrupted bliss - you wouldn't need to exchange vows.

In a world populated by the sorts of perfect people the left likes to pretend exist, you wouldn't need marriage. But it's because people are evil and irresponsible that they need to be imprisoned for their own good, against their whims, inclinations, and impulses.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Scott Peterson shows what marriage is really about...

wow, am I glad you weren't on the jury.

P.S. Were you privy to ALL the evidence against him? It sounds like no. There were many peices of evidence that were particularly damning, along with his behavior just being totally off for a man who is not only missing his wife, but his about-to-be born son. Yeah, yeah, you can say different people react differently, but I have a 10 month old son, and I'm telling you right now, NOTHING else in my life would matter until I found my wife and son. Every single one of my friends/acquaintances agrees.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:24 PM

I can't see how anyone else but Scott killed her. I don't have all of the evidence but that is my take on it.

If someone else did fame Scott he got away with the perfect crime.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 PM

I get the impression from your post that you would like to outlaw or severely curtail divorce. Wouldn't that result in more cases like the Scott Petersen case, if the only way out of a bad marriage was to kill one's spouse?

Also, although the physical evidence was less convincing than I'd like, I think the prosecution made a strong circumstantial case. It was very difficult to explain Scott Petersen's behavior if he didn't kill his wife. If he really did just happen to go fishing where his wife's body was later discovered, he's got the worst luck imaginable.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Sure, the combined figures for divorce and spouse killing are flat over the last 100 years, even as one has gone down and the other has gone up.

Oh wait, they've both gone up.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, the combined figures for divorce and spouse killing are flat over the last 100 years, even as one has gone down and the other has gone up.

Oh wait, they've both gone up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, before, husbands were allowed to just beat their wives, take up girlfreinds with zero recourse, and the wives had to take it because being divorced was like the scarelt letter before 1970.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:54 AM

Sure. Before 1970, it was ordinary for men to beat their wives. And I also heard that all Chinese men have sex with dogs.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marriage is about giving the death penalty, possibly, to someone who is on the phone with another girl when his wife is missing.

There is very little direct evidence that Scott Peterson killed his wife - even though he probably did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Scott Peterson was defending by an attorney who is no doubt one of the best available. (Note: I can't stand Mark Geragos, but there is no denying that he is an excellent attorney.) A jury of his peers found him to be guilty of murder. Sorry, but that's the way our legal system works. If Scotty had an inadequate defense (maybe a bad public defender), you may be able to make a case based on that. However, this is not the case.

I live in Texas and I have no doubt that if this crime had occurred here, the result would have been a much, much quicker conviction and he would definitely get the death penalty.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scott Peterson was defending by an attorney who is no doubt one of the best available. (Note: I can't stand Mark Geragos, but there is no denying that he is an excellent attorney.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'know, I keep hearing this, but I don't think he's won a single one of his HIgh-profile cases.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:30 PM

I hope he gets life. That will be more of a punishment for a 30 year old than eventual death. He can sit in his cage all day and be bored stiff.