Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Going all in on a draw in tourney..

Would appreciate any comments/thoughts on my play here:

Situation: $50/5 no-limit buy-in at my local card house. You start with $2100 in chips (no rebuys). Blinds double every 10 minutes (yup- every 10 minutes). About 160 players started.

Note: experience has shown me that if you can get to $7,000-9,000 in the first 90 minutes, you only need to play 1-2 real premium hands to make it to the top 16 or so with a good chance to make it in the money.

Main players: SB and BB I would characterize as weak-loose (SB slightly better than BB). I've played with them 2 or 3 times in similar tourneys...

Hand in question: Third round, blinds at $50/100. All players involved have about $2,000 stacks. I'm under-the-gun

Me: Qc, 10c - call $100
Player X: calls
Player Y: calls
SB: calls
BB: checks

Flop comes: Ac, Kc, 4h

BB: bets $100
SB: raises to $200
Me: I call $200
Player x: folds
Player y: folds
SB: raises to $400
BB: raises all-in

Okay, given lack of pre-flop betting I don't put anyone on pocket A-K's. I put SB on A-A, A-4 or maybe set-of-4s. BB is weak, I put him on pocket K-10 or second-best straingt/flush draw. I hate 'calling-off' my whole stack on a gut-shot-straight/nut-flush draw. But like I said above, blinds increase very fast in this tourney and this is a chance to triple-up even if I'm 3:1 dog or so,

Me: Call (all-in)
SB: Call (almost all in $100 left).

SB: has 4d, 4s: set of fours
BB: Jc, 6c (weak straight/flush draw)

Turn comes Qd
River: rags
I lose.

So:
1) Not bad call, pot odds were okay, you can't win them all?

2) Dude, never call off your whole stack on a draw unless you're or really short stacked. Fold and wait for better situation!

3) Dude, you are so far over you head - go back to your $0.50 home game!!

thanks.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Going all in on a draw in tourney..

I wouldnt have limped UTG with QTs.

IMHO, if you're gonna go all-in on a draw you gotta be the aggressor, I muck this hand
Old 11-14-2004, 03:31 PM

I fold QTs UTG with 21x every time. However if I did call, I would almost certainly call all in here with what is almost always 13 outs.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:04 PM

1)QTs UTG... I'd muck every time. I only play hands like that from late position because too big of a chance someone will open with a raise.

2)I think you can go either way on the all-in bet. Pot odds are in your favor but they aren't all that amazing unless the sb goes all-in with you. You need to watch the sb when the bb goes all-in. If he looks like he's going to call the all-in (i.e. reaching for his chips, looking at his chips, etc.) then you should definitely go all-in because you're getting such good pot odds for your money. If you think he's going to fold, then it's just up to if you think you can easily get to your target stack size with how the table is going if you fold here.